Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diesel_driver

So, the time has come to replace my original factory batteries. The truck was purchased in October of 2003, and the batteries are just now starting to spin the motor a little slower than usual. The temperature has been dipping into the teens at night on and off for the last couple of weeks. They're a little weak during the first start-up of the day, and fine for the rest of the day. I think I've got my money's worth out of them!

I'm either going to replace them with Odyssey group 65 batteries, or, X2 Power SLI65AGMDP batteries from Batteries Plus. The X2's are made by NorthStar in the US, and spec the same as the Odyssey battery. The Odyssey's have a 4 year warranty, and The X2's have a 5 year warranty. The X2's weigh 5lbs less than the Odyssey's. I'm not sure if that's an indication of anything though.

Any input?

diesel_driver , Jan 6, 2017
  2. Motorhead

The Odyssey's have 20 more CCA at 950. My take on battery weight is the more it weighs the likelihood is that the plates are thicker. Odyssey has been around a long time. I personally don't recommend running batteries to the bitter end. You have a starter that is expensive and as the voltage drops, it draws more amperage which works the starter harder. Also, you are taxing your charging system harder having it charge weak batteries each time you start the truck. I realize good batteries are expensive for these trucks but premature replacement of a more expensive starter and/or an expensive alternator to run weak batteries a few more years doesn't make sense to me. I replaced both batteries in my 12/06 production, 2007 at around 6 years old. They are in my 5th wheel trailer doing okay. To each his own. I'd buy the Odysseys.

Motorhead , Jan 6, 2017
  3. diesel_driver

I hear you on preventative replacement. The slower turnover just started a couple of days ago, due to the cold weather. Up until then, the motor has always turned over and started just as quickly as when new. It's amazing they have lasted this long without issue.

The Odyssey's would have to be ordered, and take a few days to get here. The X2's are in stock, so if I choose those, they would go in on Saturday. One of the positives with the X2's is that Batteries Plus stores are about as common as Walmart's. They would be very easy to replace while on the road.

diesel_driver , Jan 6, 2017
  4. RVTRKN

Costco batteries are what I buy, they also stand behind them with no questions asked. My AC clutch failed and took out my 1 year old bateries, I returned them for new batteries and even got some money back because they were slightly less in cost then what I paid a year earlier.

RVTRKN , Jan 6, 2017
  5. p-Bar

Check the proration out on those batteries . Costco all the way . I had bought the good Delcos and they took a a dump before the warranty . Just because its a four year battery ask them what happens at 3 yrs 6 mo. ? Yes Costco no BS warranty

p-Bar , Jan 6, 2017
  6. xcc_rider

3X on Costco batteries. Interstate batteries with 42 month warranty. You return them at 40 months no questions asked for free replacement.
    So basically you never have to buy batteries again.

xcc_rider , Jan 6, 2017
  7. BILTIT

BILTIT , Jan 6, 2017
  8. Motorhead

I bought some of the last AGM Sears Platinum batteries for my '07 and YES, The engine NEVER cranked as fast as it still does with the stock batteries.

Motorhead , Jan 6, 2017
  9. 1weldit

Some of the last? As in last ones they're going to produce, or from the latest design they are producing?

2007 3500 4x4 QCLB DRW, 5.9, G56 SBDD, Airdog II 165-4G, S&B intake, 4" straight exhaust, TS MP-8, autometer factory match boost and pyrometer.

1weldit , Jan 13, 2017
  10. Motorhead

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    Motorhead , Jan 13, 2017
  11. dmsog

xcc_rider: I am an Interstate Batteries dealer and you won't get away with stealing new batteries from me. I charge and load test every allegedly bad battery when a customer brings me one. If it's not bad you're not going to scam me or the Interstate Battery company.

dmsog , Jan 13, 2017
  12. pcarlson

I am a fan of gel/agm instead of flooded batteries.

pcarlson , Jan 14, 2017
  13. Motorhead

I agree too. Main reason is the location the batteries are placed, flooded batteries can sometimes slop acid out over rough roads.

Motorhead , Jan 14, 2017
  14. RVTRKN

Ya, that's not intentional on my part, truck killed the batteries in less than 1year. They wouldn't charge after truck shorted them out.

The AGM batteries are great for RV's, espeacially if you store them for long periods of time in hot dry climates. I only use them for my boat and 5ver, and I rotate them from RV to boat. I haven't replaced one yet in 8 years.

RVTRKN , Jan 14, 2017
  15. jeepit

I replaced 10 year old ( yes you read correct) original batteries with oem from dealership. I figured the first set worked well for me so why not......

jeepit , Jan 14, 2017
  16. diesel_driver

What did you have to pay for OEM batteries?

diesel_driver , Jan 14, 2017
  17. diesel_driver

I've decided to give these a try: Batteries Plus SLI65AGMDP. These spec out almost the same as the Odyssey batteries, and the cost for two is $461.99. They also have a longer warranty.
    653762.jpg.png #ad

I know that this is a frowned-on project, but I'm also going to mount these in an in-bed tool box using a kit like this:

2009_Dodge_Diesel_Truck_Dual_Battery_Relocation_Kit-480x227.jpg #ad

These at designed and spec'd for each application. I will also be relocating the battery temp sensor as well. I just want them out of the engine bay for the additional room and access.

653762.jpg.png #ad

2009_Dodge_Diesel_Truck_Dual_Battery_Relocation_Kit-480x227.jpg #ad

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    diesel_driver , Jan 14, 2017
  18. S.Morris

I just replaced the ORIGINAL batteries in my 10-03 build date 04. I used Costco (Kirkland group 65 batteries).
    The originals still load tested good, but I could no longer stand the suspense, and since I travel far from home in cold weather, I wanted piece of mind.

S.Morris , Jan 19, 2017
  19. nibroc

deka seconds works for me (group 65)---$70 ea.

nibroc , Jan 24, 2017
  20. Newfy

Just replaced 10 year old batteries on 07, went with sears diehards, 890CCA, 3 yr warranty; $300 installed .

Newfy , Jan 30, 2017