Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Motorhead

I'm looking for a good trailer brake controller. I always sought advice here. So what is the best controller now?

Motorhead , Nov 3, 2019
  2. NIsaacs

NIsaacs , Nov 4, 2019
    bigceltic and Motorhead like this.
  3. jhenderson

I just replaced my factory controller with a DirecLink DL 50. It’s a little spendy but I like it.

jhenderson , Nov 4, 2019
  4. Tuesdak

I would consider another model from them where they didn't decide "Blue LED's" are just So Cool that they just HAD to switch to them from night vision friendly RED LED's. o_O The P2 Blue LED's are like shining a flashlight in your eyes at night. One Blue LED P2 I had would light the cab up even without line of sight. Only because I paid to install it with a hitch it didn't get returned. Talk about a nasty surprise after install when it lit up blue where past controllers I was used too were red. I used it's quick reference guide to cover the damn blue glare LED display...

Switched to?! Yeah blue from red LED like this "classic" 2003 vintage sporting red LED's.

Prodigy.jpg #ad

Edit:
    Another red LED controller I have around is an Odyssey II "Made IN USA". They actually moved production to Mexico in 2010. However I do prefer a lever or other quick way to turn on the trailer brakes over this model.
    https://rvbusiness.com/management-team-acquires-valley-from-thule/
    https://www.recordnet.com/article/20101202/A_BIZ/12020331

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Tuesdak , Nov 4, 2019
  5. bigceltic TDR MEMBER

bigceltic , Nov 4, 2019
  6. Motorhead

Any of you guys know anything about the Curt controller? https://www.curtmfg.com/part/51140
    The CURT controller can be bought with a plug-to-plug, truck to controller, vehicle specific loom.
    I am putting this in a neighbors new Tundra. All he tows is a 3000 pound, single axle CASITA trailer. He tows it once or twice a year.
    The Tekonsha is nice. As long as it isn't too complicated to operate

Motorhead , Nov 4, 2019
  7. bigceltic TDR MEMBER

When I bought the Tekonsha, it came with the connector for my truck - plug and play. Is super simple to operate. Can also handle a variety of trailers - basically just as easy as picking the size of the trailer on the controller (there are default boost levels based on the trailer size).

Here is a great video

bigceltic , Nov 4, 2019
  8. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

Brake Smart and Max Brake were the best, however neither are made anymore, both worked off the tow vehicles brake pedal pressure. Do yourself a big favor and get the DirecLink noted above for seamless braking. That is the combination will brake as a single unit. No lead or lag from the trailer. NO Prodigy or other current controller can compare. I should have keep my Max Brake when I sold the 2001.5. SnoKing

SnoKing , Nov 4, 2019
  9. NIsaacs

The new P2's have auto dimming now.

NIsaacs , Nov 4, 2019
  10. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

Yet they are always lead or lag the truck. Get it set correctly for the highway and it will be wrong in city traffic, and visa versa.

SnoKing , Nov 4, 2019
  11. Motorhead

I still have a JORDAN in my 2007. Took it out of my 2001 before I sold it. I have 2 spare units, just in case. I carry one in the 5th wheel "Spares" box in the front compartment. Sure would like to know why those two brake units, The Jordan with a cable to the brake pedal and the MAX Brake, even built by other manufacturers are not on the market. BEST braking ever with the Jordan and it is almost 20 years old.

Motorhead , Nov 4, 2019
  12. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

That was the third one, and I could not remember the name. I looked at it years ago, then the Brake Smart came out. I many years later bought a MaxBrake and kidded myself for not buying the Brake Smart or Jordan years earlier! So now Direclink is the only one currently available with true proportional braking. RAM could have a good factory brake controller, however they have some engineer that has never towed a trailer that screwed up the programming and refuse to fix it.

SnoKing , Nov 4, 2019