Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greytraveler

The 2005 RAM is a May 2004 Cummins. Two batteries. Had AutoZone check and was told they should be replaced. Something about not doing well under load. The said he thought they might be the original batteries. Have not checked my maintenance records so cannot confirm at this point.

Since our winters do have several weeks of single digit temps and many weeks in the teens, thought it would be a good idea to put in new batteries before having to call AAA for a jump.

CostCo sells Interstate so was planning to keep it simple a go with them. Unless someone has a good reason not to.

My question: Will it be a problem in any way if before removing I disconnect both batteries at the same time?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Greytraveler , Sep 30, 2019
  2. Crunch

I think that the general consensus is going to be that no brand of battery is as good as they used to be, so base your purchase on that in addition to the recommendations of other people.

As for actually doing the switch-out, I always disconnect both batteries before doing anything electrical, including switching them out. Why risk having a live wire screw up your truck? If you aren't sure if these are the original batteries I would strongly suggest that you examine all the cables before you drop in the new batteries--especially the crossover cable. Bad cables can kill off batteries very quickly, and the crossover cable is notorious for this.

Crunch , Sep 30, 2019
  3. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

I second this, no probs to disconnect both at a time and check the heavy gauge wires, if any are suspect change them, Genos sells a nice set thats fair price.

Ozymandias , Oct 1, 2019
  4. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

What year is it that’s got the wire that connects to the driver side battery that powers the fuel injectors? It’s pretty common to drop that wire behind the battery and not connect it when installing a new battery, then the truck won’t run because the injectors are dead.

It happened to a friend of mine. His farm hand put new batteries in his truck (I can’t remember what year it is...) and then the truck wouldn’t start. They had it towed to a dealer and they wanted to put a new ECM on it. I told him to tell the tech to look for a disconnected wire behind the driver battery and, sure enough, it was laying there. The hand had failed to hook it back up. They connected the wire, started it up, and drove it home.

BigPapa , Oct 1, 2019
  5. Greytraveler

Thanks for the advice. Will be careful and be sure to check the connections and wires

Greytraveler , Oct 2, 2019
  6. verk

I too suggest new battery cables or at least connectors ( should be crimped ) if wiring itself is good. I crimped new connectors when replacing batteries. When the job was finished my occasional blower motor hiccups went away. The factory stuff is pretty good, but everything degrades with enough time, vibration, acid and previous owner hacking.

verk , Oct 8, 2019
    Ozymandias and Greytraveler like this.
  7. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Disconnect BOTH Negative terminals first.

Then if the wrench touches anything metal while disconnecting the Positive terminals nothing will happen.

The alternative is similar to a fireworks show...

mwilson , Oct 9, 2019
    Ozymandias likes this.
  8. TrailRunner

You don't have to ever get to the AAA point... I have been using one of the Lithium jump starters for awhile now that turns over my '05 5.9 L no problem when the original batteries have been getting cold. You can let it charge if it drained more deeply, or just turn the key quick after hooking the starter up for lighter drains. Haven't needed it on a very dead diesel truck battery yet, but it revived a dead battery on a stranded small truck I came across. Very handy, plus will run a smaller air compressor, and many other electronics. Charges phones, tablets, etc. Strong light built in. No I'm not a salesmen... just like em! I bought the Noco GB70 which is rated for the 5.9 L, but you can upsize to a 4000a starter too.

About to do my batteries to...original Mopar batteries in a 2005.5 Ram 2500 I bought last year. Might just go with Walmarts Maxx brand that has 850 CCA, or possibly upgrade to an AGM. Just going to do a deep clean on the terminals and battery compartments and call it good. I live in Winter temps ranging 0-25 most of the Winter.

TrailRunner , Oct 28, 2019
  9. EricViviano

Interstate are good batteries and Costco usually has good prices. Go for it. Get the highest CCA battery you can afford.

EricViviano , Nov 1, 2019
    Summit1 likes this.
  10. BIGNASTY

Ive changed batt's IT HAPPENS, the best thing I changed was the cable ends, I went to Military style ends BEST MOVE MADE!!

BIGNASTY , Nov 1, 2019
    brucejohnson and Ozymandias like this.
  11. Blakers

Blakers , Nov 1, 2019
    Michaelsloft likes this.