1. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

I won't be able to measure anything off a simple camper I need to tow, I don't have a ball mount and need to buy one at a local trailer place. I purchased a 8x14 trailer from this place years ago so I kinda trust them to not over sell me stuff I don't need.

Pulling: Standard 34' camper, expect about 9600lb, 15" tires.

Alot of places like etrailer say 17" is a standard camper hitch height +/- 2". I dug for a while to.find a mfg reference for this thing and its not anywhere.

So my plan is to just air up my tires and measure my truck and get a simple ball mount set up that will be close to that 17" guideline, Maybe error a inch high??? Throw a 2-5/16 ball on there and go about my trip, about 2hr ride.

Some older dead posts on here say the hitch might be derated to 5k without weight distribution. I can"t seem to find that statement for my 18' 2500. I have the 2018 ram towing guide. (Which I just now figured out it is multiple pages somehow I could never flip to the other pages so I thought they only had spec on 1500 reg cab....)

Maybe that derating is for older class IV hitch stuff? The mfg tables from folks like Reese say need WD for this weight range. Again they sell hitches and set up's.....

Good Sam has a nice guide seemed to not swayed by any mfg but they have a ton of advertisers selling setups so not sure how neutral they are either.

I'm all for a WD set up if I need it. SRW 2500, $ is not the issue. I had one for a 8.5 x 24 enclosed trailer years ago.

Timd32 , Mar 29, 2019
  2. JR

I'd buy an adjustable hitch rather than a fixed. It also gives you the flexibility down the road in the event of another trailer or tow vehicle. On w/d set ups, a hitches max rating is with a w/d. All depends on your tongue weight.

mfurrh55 likes this.
  3. mfurrh55

What JR said makes sense

mfurrh55 , Mar 29, 2019
  4. JR

Was just looking at Curt's website, it appears at least for their hitches once you step up to the 2-1/2" receivers there is no difference in weight rating with or without weight distribution.

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/15803

However with class IV and lower there is, 10,000 lb towing/1000 lb tongue weight without and 12000 lb towing/1200 tongue weight with w/d.

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/14361

I've not seen any literature from Ram on this but that doesn't mean it doesnt exist.

5. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

Sounds like a good plan. Will run with that for now.

Should only be about 900lbs tongue weight, I only need to move it about 3 miles from the camper site its at now to my place.

I can always then weigh it up with one of my shop scales with that block and wood method, then the Monday we are bringing it about an hour and half south.

Its my sisters and brother in laws.

Timd32 , Mar 29, 2019
  6. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

Curt had some pretty good basic info. I read thru their stuff last night. They do say in there that once at Class V its pretty much a wash.

https://www.curtmfg.com/understanding-towing/introduction

What is the deal with the ball torque spec?
    I might need a bigger hammer for that 2" spec. Screenshot_20190329-120445_Chrome.jpg #ad

Timd32 , Mar 29, 2019
  7. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

Done. Should be more then enough.

Why they dont list the ball mount by Tounge weight is besides me, its very clear on the ball mount.

I thought it was going to derate the Class V by putting in a 3000lb ball mount. Its always rated the weakest link I get that. If I was going on the highway for hours and possible high winds or something the WD is the only way to go.

Only thing I should measure is the overall ground clearance. With the lift gate Im a little limited on the up side.

$255 out the door.

Thanks again. IMG_20190329_130326.jpg #ad

Timd32 , Mar 29, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  8. JR

Pretty!

9. JR

Tim, what local to you place sells equipment like that?

I've been using my old 2" receiver from my 98 with an adapter. It is set up for w/d but honestly I don't use it often as most of my heavy hauls are local (I know, not an excuse). But I really should upgrade to a 2-1/2" as some of my loads are really pushing the limits of a 2" hitch. I like the fact the 2-1/2" is rated that high without w/d.

10. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

Timd32 , Mar 29, 2019
  11. DHayden

I wouldnt worry about a specific ball height. Let all the weight down on the ball and adjust up or down so that the trailer rides level. Glad you got adjustable hitch, will help with different tongue weight for same trailer and different trailers. Measure front and back of trailer and keep as level as possible. It will keep your axles and tires a lot happier.

DHayden , Mar 29, 2019
  12. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

Worked out pretty well, drop was 4", was going to maybe try one more hole up, but by the time we got it all uncovered, and loaded up the "oh by the way" there is 500lb of block that needs to go with it in the bed.. we had enough.

Towed great, the new campsite was pretty tight, but only jumped over one set of rocks. Great weather mid 40's not too cold, not too hot. 20190401_110028.jpg #ad

Their new site, we came back up this road and turned it in from the left.

20190401_143719.jpg #ad

Final spot. 20190401_143710.jpg #ad

Timd32 , Apr 1, 2019
    JR likes this.