Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwarner

8 or 9 years ago I sold my 2nd Gen reluctantly, it just sat most of the time and the body was starting to go. Tried to go without a truck for a year or two..couldn't , ended up with a Ford Excursion (family was larger at the time) , that truck worked great (minus the Cummins, and it just didn't feel as robust as the Dodge) but now it was just too much truck for us plus a what I think was a good deal came up on an '05 4wd quad cab sport with 110k miles on it. The truck was my dads so I know pretty much exactly what kind of miles were put on it. I'd say it towed maybe 5 or 6 times, and the rest of the miles were from driving out west.

Now I will say dad just doesn't keep up on his vehicles like I do...it still is pretty clean for a Michigan truck but the exterior needs a little TLC. Front end was just rebuilt, (ball joints, tie rod ends, front CV joints, track bar) but not the wheel bearings.. don't know why he didn't change them. Rear driveshaft U joint was also changed at some time. Other than that he has just done regular oil changes and fuel filter changes. Truck is bone stock other than a stainless Silverline turbo back exhaust system, tinted windows and Bilstien shocks.
    I know I need to replace the fluids in the axles , transfer case and have the transmission fluid and filter changed. Would also like to throw in a new water pump and coolant. I'll check the idler, and tension pulleys and belt. Was thinking of some form of added fuel filteration. Also will be adding a Brite Box and Fogzilla kit.
    Any other suggestions ? Plan I leaving it stock.. which is hard but I don't want to get sucked into the diesel mod thing again, did it on the 2nd gen and on my Jetta TDI.

Overall I really like this truck, it rides much nicer than my 2nd gen did ,even with the Kore suspension. Interior is nice, the Infinity stereo is okay. I'm a little bit of a light footed driver and I notice around town the trans doesn't seem to like it. It might be me not being used to the truck or is this legit ? It seems to hunt a little unless I give it some decent throttle. That exhaust is loud as f%$k , but I don't plan changing it anytime soon so will deal with it. To be honest, I'm not the most enthused to be back into a pickup , I really liked the SUV thing of the Excursion but I am very happy to be back in a Cummins.

cwarner , Jun 17, 2015
  2. Grey Wolf TDR MEMBER

Welcome back:D

Grey Wolf , Jun 17, 2015
  3. p-Bar

Welcome back. Not sure if your dad ever had the intercooler replaced? the factory one for 05 had plastic end caps , didn't work that well. Some better fuel filtration will extend the life of those injectors . All I can think of......

p-Bar , Jun 17, 2015
  4. Grey Wolf TDR MEMBER

p-Bar not all the '05's had the plastic tanks on the IC. My son ordered an '05 and when it came in the truck had metal tanks, so I believe it depends on the build date. GW

Grey Wolf , Jun 18, 2015
  5. p-Bar

They probably changed towards the end of the cycle once problems arose. Thanks for the info

p-Bar , Jun 18, 2015
  6. amsoilman Staff Alumni

Welcome back! Good to see you are "back in the saddle" again. Hope you enjoy your new ride.

amsoilman , Jun 18, 2015
  7. rashwor

Bought my '05 October 13, 2004 and it came with plastic tanks on the intercooler. They are still there and holding, but I am stock on the engine.

rashwor , Jun 18, 2015
  8. cwarner

Looks like my truck has cast aluminum (?) ends on the I/C, don't know the build date off hand though.

cwarner , Jun 20, 2015
  9. Grey Wolf TDR MEMBER

There is a white sticker on the side of the valve cover that has the engine information on it. If your interested, who knows one day you might need the serial number and cpl. I keep them handy especially since I need my glasses to read it from afar:-laf

Grey Wolf , Jun 20, 2015
  10. cerberusiam Staff Member

Mid MY 05 the aluminum tanks were back on the CAC. Everything built Jan 05 and on should have the good tanks.

cerberusiam , Jun 21, 2015