Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CCCRAM TDR MEMBER

Hello, looking for some solutions...

Recently in last week transmission at start-up seems stuck in 1st gear for a short time, then shifts normally. This is of course annoying and concerned about condition. Once truck is underway, operates normally. But every time I shut down, and restart, the problem reappears.

Took it to a local diesel shop for diagnostic and they tell me the only way they can resolve is to take it down and rebuild, quoted me $2,300. I can't help but think its something that can be repaired rather than rebuilt.

I had this transmission re-built back at 80k or so and added new TC and valve body. It's been solid since then.

What could be the issue? If I take it too another transmission shop, what should I ask them to look at?

Need some help from my fellow TDR members... you've come through before!

CCCRAM , Aug 15, 2017
  2. Joe Mc TDR MEMBER

Sounds like something is sticking in the VB until things warm up. Give the folks @ ATS a call and see what they think.

Joe Mc , Aug 16, 2017
  3. Joe Mc TDR MEMBER

Oh, highly recommend staying away from the local transmission shops since you have ATS. Nothing against the local shops by any means, I've heard many horror stories about local rebuilds of our transmission's - some shops only replace what's bad = a repair not a rebuild....

Joe Mc , Aug 16, 2017
  4. cerberusiam Staff Member

Typically that is a sign the output shaft speed sensor is bad or or going bad. A $12 part you can replace yourself. A bit deeper thna that would be a gov pressure transducer and gov pressure solenoid, probably due at that mileage for new ones anyway.

cerberusiam , Aug 18, 2017
  5. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

I'll second this try first. I had the same issue and the OSS sensor fixed it.

Mine also shifted very hard when it did get around to shifting to second.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    BigPapa , Aug 18, 2017