1. MCanning

Hi Guys, i have a 2021 ram 2500 with 6.7 diesel and am looking for suggestions on installing the oil filter. It is easy enough to remove but a problem getting the new one up in place and started on threads, seems like it has to be done one handed, any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

Diesel85 likes this.
  2. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

Tuesdak and Diesel85 like this.
  3. Tuesdak

Fixed it for you.

X2 on tools from Genos with the filter plug stopping the "mess" from the filter.

You can go in through the top by removing the intake tube, but, this risks getting dirt in the intake.

As we are quality control you might check the threads on the oil filter to make sure they are there and the proper size.

TomBrady and Diesel85 like this.
  4. Learjet

good videos on YouTube will explain everything. Picture is worth a thousand words.

Diesel85 likes this.
  5. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Forget the fancy tools and do it all from the top.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2024 at 11:36 AM
    Cummins12V98 , Jun 29, 2024 at 11:09 PM
    Tuesdak, Diesel85 and NIsaacs like this.
  6. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Oh, lord. Not again….

20190511_100945.jpeg #ad

bigceltic, KPotter, Diesel85 and 2 others like this.
  7. sag2 TDR MEMBER

I just did mine Wednesday from the top. I removed the intake from the turbo. I have the Geno's filter plug for removing the filter, but I never prefill so it doesn't matter if I drop it a couple times while trying to get it threaded back on.

8. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

sag2, if you wait to remove the filter after letting the oil drain a couple hours or so there is no reason to use a plug as the filter drains back.

Cummins12V98 , Jun 30, 2024 at 11:39 AM
    Larry Willard and Diesel85 like this.
  9. Tuesdak

If you are going through the fender you need a way to keep the filter from spilling. Although hot oil likes to splash back out of the drain container from the drain plug so for a long time I was like "why bother?" with the tools. Truck would quit dripping from the oil filter area after a few days. At least my 2018 has a funnel under the oil filter so the oil goes mostly in one place. The top side oil filter removal also allows inspection of intake boots for rubbing through.

1.JPG #ad

2.JPG #ad

This does get old.

3.JPG #ad

Diesel85 likes this.
  10. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

I use a milk bucket that get's up close to the pan so I have zero oversplash. NEVER have I gone thru the fender. The 19 and newer trucks are so easy to do from the top.

BD74C1C9-3E90-4C43-99C9-D89FDCA7D7E5.jpeg #ad

Cummins12V98 , Jun 30, 2024 at 2:12 PM
    Diesel85 likes this.
  11. wyosteve TDR MEMBER

Get the EZ Drain from Geno's and eliminate any splashing!

Diesel85 likes this.
  12. bcbender TDR MEMBER

LOL.... On my 2020, I don't even pop the hood open until I'm back on the ground and ready to add oil..........:cool:

KPotter, Timd32 and Diesel85 like this.