Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCOTTY088

I see several different manufacturers and price ranges, what are your thoughts on the most durable and longest lasting belts on the market. My truck vin # is on the recall list for T-51 and would like to have a new belt for replacement. Thanks for your expert feedback. Scotty

SCOTTY088 , Nov 4, 2017
  2. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

I used to buy the GoodYear Gatorback and have great life with them.

Cummins12V98 , Nov 4, 2017
  3. Wayne M.

Gates Green belt- Incredible.

Wayne M. , Nov 5, 2017
  4. rynosback

WOW, I agree with this guy again..:)

rynosback , Nov 5, 2017
  5. Newsa

With T51, they inspect the belt and replace if it appears to be worn?

Or maybe I'm wrong?

Newsa , Nov 5, 2017
  6. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

"This guy" HAAAA

Cummins12V98 , Nov 5, 2017
  7. gsbrockman

Nothing wrong with the OEM belt......mine went to 229k miles, and looked good when I replaced it.

gsbrockman , Nov 5, 2017
  8. BIGNASTY

And mine stopped that CHURP when you shut it off

SORRY I DONT HAVE A 4TH GEN IF IT MAKES A DIFF

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    BIGNASTY , Nov 5, 2017
  9. LandShark

My thoughts are that it's a waste of money to carry a spare belt, for several reasons: First, belts on these truck typically last well over 150,000 miles. Storing a new belt for several years means you may be putting on a old belt (think tires). Belts are readily available at any auto parts place in the country, so pick up a fresh belt when you need one. Most of the time when you have a premature belt failure, you will be needing more that just a belt: water pump, tensioner, AC pump, alternator, etc.

LandShark , Nov 6, 2017
  10. Wayne M.

Excellent reasoning, Land Shark.

Wayne M. , Nov 6, 2017
  11. Dick Langendorff TDR MEMBER

My 2004 turned 252,000 miles last week. Still the original belt.

Dick Langendorff , Nov 6, 2017
  12. Stab TDR MEMBER

just a heads up for you dual alternator guys: The serp belt is very difficult to find at the usual auto parts stores AND dealers. I special ordered one from Carquest to have on board. Landshark has good points but, if I deem it necessary, I'll replace a new unused belt every few years!

Stab , Nov 6, 2017
  13. jacknife

I always keep my old one but I change them out about every year and a half. The belts wear ever so slightly. and cause slippage on the alternator you cannot hear . This will reduce your Alt out put slightly and can lead to shorter Alt life. Besides when out in the middle of nowhere and you lose a belt for whatever reason you just may need that spare . I also carry a belt diagram with me just in case I can't hook up to the internet with my phone . Also a spare water pump. Just lessons learned the hard way thru 35 yrs of truckin. Sometimes the only one to turn to is you

jacknife , Nov 7, 2017
  14. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Definitely not a 4th Gen, but my '95 12V has had two belts on it in it's 500K mile life, the original and a Gates HD "Green" belt that I put on it "just because" when I swapped the engine into the '98 at 325K miles. Never had any charging issues, either, due to belt wear.

BigPapa , Nov 7, 2017
  15. Weston TDR MEMBER

I use the Gates green, keep spare using wife's vacuum sealer to package in. Weston, Reno, NV

Weston , Nov 8, 2017