Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonFitzwater

Hello Gents, I keep getting this "Key Fob not detected" message. It happens when I've come to a stop, get out and leave the door open........like when hooking up to a trailer. By the time I get back to the cab, it's dinging away and keeps doing it for differing amounts of time. I've taken pictures of it over and over again but my dealer is helpless in sorting it out. The battery in the fob is new, the fob never leaves the center console area. VIN 3C63RRKL9JG1204 if anyone wants to look it up. Dealer had it for a week and claims it would act up. I picked the truck up today and it did it within 30 minutes of leaving dealership. Any ideas?

I don't have access to Chrysler's diagnostic tools but do have a Snap-on Solus. What do I need to know about this system to help out my dealers service department?

message.jpeg #ad

DonFitzwater , Jun 28, 2019
  2. TFucili

Don't know much about them, except this sort of stuff usually ends up in a discussion of the RF Hub. Just found this random description.

Attached Files:

TFucili , Jun 28, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  3. Wayne M.

I do know there are 2 antennas, one inside and one or more outside, and the rocker panel is a strong boundary. When you open the door, it looks for the fob. From what I’ve read, you can pass the fob through a window, and until you open a door, it won’t look for it.
    Here’s the tough question-
    Have you made any mods or flashes? And interior mods that may have messed up that interior antenna?
    Unless the Solus has the latest and greatest update, I’m not sure it’ll be of any help.

Wayne M. , Jun 28, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  4. TFucili

I don't know what it would prove, but what happens if you take the fob with you when you exit the truck to hitch up, etc? Just curious.

TFucili , Jun 28, 2019
  5. Wayne M.

If you open the door and carry it past the door frame, it’ll ding ding.
    Of course I’m using my RT as a example. It has keyless go push button.

EDIT. as I typed the above, I was in the RT, so I tried it after I got back home. It’s all true, except you need to open and close the door for it to notice the fob there or not.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Wayne M. , Jun 28, 2019
    Wiredawg and Ozymandias like this.
  6. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

The FOB never leaves my pants pocket.

Ozymandias , Jun 28, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  7. DonFitzwater

Truck is completely stock. Fob never leaves the interior of the cab. Yeah, I don’t want to pay 1000.00 to update my solus to fix Chrysler’s problem. :D

DonFitzwater , Jun 29, 2019
  8. DonFitzwater

It dings like crazy.

Ozymandias likes this.
  9. DonFitzwater

Odd part is that it won’t do it until the truck is up to temp and has been driven a while. First start of the day it won’t act up. Pretty sure I’m dealing with an electronic module failing.

10. Wayne M.

It never leaves the cab? Don’t you park it anywhere and secure the truck? Could this be a clue? Could your fob battery have died? I’ve changed my batteries already. Seems to last not as long as the old fobs did.

Wayne M. , Jun 29, 2019
    Ozymandias likes this.
  11. Wayne M.

Have you tried the other fob?

Wayne M. , Jun 29, 2019
  12. DonFitzwater

I only have one fob. The battery was dead according to the dealer at the last visit and they changed it (worked fine from nearly any distance and function) but nothing changed. Yes, the truck rarely gets locked and the fob stays in it.

13. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Don, shoot a pm to sag2. This kind of thing is right up his alley.

mwilson , Jun 29, 2019
  14. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Why do you only have one fob btw??

Maybe your fob is lonely and needs a soulmate??

Find an online fob dating site??

Seriously though, could pairing a second fob maybe make it happy?? I have seen things with fobs that can’t be unseen..

mwilson , Jun 29, 2019
    DonFitzwater, Wiredawg and TFucili like this.
  15. Wayne M.

When I was buying my RT, the dealer (all of them) were so stiff with dealing on these SUV’s, I had to get SOMETHING out of them, and it was a 3rd fob. Boy did the GM squeal at that! I guess they cost more than I can imagine!
    BTW battery replacement is real easy- just like any other fob.
    I think you should get another fob before going further.

Wayne M. , Jun 29, 2019
  16. mwilson TDR MEMBER

I can’t stress the following enough...

Before spending a dime of hard earned money on the electronic gremlins that plague any vehicle....reboot the vehicle!!
    Disconnect the batteries, then touch the pos and neg cables together to drain any capacitors...
    I have to do this on the the truck to fix the premature dome light time out issue about once a year. The Cadillac requires the same when the funky things start to happen.
    It’s free....

mwilson , Jun 29, 2019
    Ozymandias, Wiredawg and TFucili like this.
  17. Wiredawg

Me too. Leaving fob in truck is the same as leaving key in the ignition. Exception is when I'm connecting up trailer and doing final check on trailer before leaving AND with dogs in the truck.

Cheers, Ron

Wiredawg , Jun 29, 2019
  18. Wiredawg

I agree. See if that doesn't help.

Also, I think problem is leaving fob in truck all the time. Nothing to back it up, not sure it mentions anywhere either. Just the truck senses fob inside all the time and has gone rogue. Try keeping it out of the truck except when you're in it after resetting the truck.

EDIT. A little bit more theory based, the smart truck always detects the fob is always present, which has created a fault condition. Truck needs to unlearn this, via hard reset AND keep the fob OUT of the truck when not operating.

Cheers, Ron

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Wiredawg , Jun 29, 2019
    Ozymandias likes this.
  19. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Hmm, does your truck switch off if you leave the vehicle with the FOB and engine running?
    Mine doesn't so I do that all the time, opening garage door, fuel up, and so on.

I was surprised that this works when I first explored it.

But sorry that I'm no help with the actual problem that your FOB isn't recognized properly by the vehicle.

Ozymandias , Jun 29, 2019
  20. DonFitzwater

I’m going to disconnect batteries while I’m working today. Wife does take the fob out when she is using the truck so that scrubs that idea. I’m the one that never takes it out and the problem happens to both of us even with different types of usage.