Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandShark

Looking for anything new on the '4wd serv' error. I have had this error several times on long trips, a couple of years apart. First times it happened at low speeds after hours of driving and would go out after a few minutes. Most recently I got the error several times in one day during highway driving and could hear a sound in the front end like drive shaft or axle spinning. Error went away after a few minutes, as did the noise. Error happened again when pulling into campground at end of day and I discovered that 4wd would not work when the error light was on. Cycled the key and all was good. Have done another 1000 miles of towing this week with no more errors.

Some on this site have have stated that it could be related to failing batteries, but my batteries were replaced several months ago.

LandShark , Aug 3, 2019
  2. sag2 TDR MEMBER

It would be best if you know the fault code(s) but inexpensive scanner will not read them.

sag2 , Aug 3, 2019
    DonFitzwater likes this.
  3. LandShark

Can anyone suggest what scanners that can read these codes would be available for us to purchase?
    Would a ABS compatible scanner work?

LandShark , Aug 5, 2019
  4. Wiredawg

I like AlphaOBD. In addition to reading and clearing codes, you can change vehicle parameters and it works on all FCA vehicles with OBDII connection. I turned on DRL for my Jeep. Been looking at cool stuff on My 5500 too. $50 at Amazon, plus an OBDII blue tooth modem $80 (i got a nice one) and use your smartphone.

Cheers, Ron

Wiredawg , Aug 6, 2019
  5. DBrooks

I've had the 4wd serv error last fall, it was intermittent and a couple of times I heard a sound similar to what you describe. In my case it was the actuator and it was shorting due to water intrusion, the found a damaged water seal on the harness and replaced both and the error cleared and has not come back. BUT, I recently did a lube service on the truck which included both diffs. The front diff had a lot of metal shavings in it. Luckily I'm at just a tick over 90K miles so still under powertrain warranty. When they pulled it apart they found the collar the actuator moves was worn badly on the splines in it and the spider gears were also damaged by some of the chunks that got free. So I would recommend pulling the cover and checking for any unusual wear metals in there once you get everything else sorted just as a final check.

DBrooks , Aug 7, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  6. Bob4x4

Wiredawg does the Alpha read the drivetrain control module?

Bob4x4 , Aug 8, 2019
  7. Wiredawg

I have to plug into my truck to see. You can also download the trial version to try it out.

I found a lot of info on ALPHAOBD as well on the Cummins forum and Ram forum.

On my Ram 5500, I have the OBDII connector removed from the bracket an tie wrapped under the dash with my edge CTS2 plugged into it. Prevents me kicking or kneeing it when getting in or out of my truck.

I'll see over the next few days about checking it out.

Cheers, Ron

Wiredawg , Aug 9, 2019
  8. TDickerson

Since owning my truck new, I have had 5 actuators replaced and waiting for the 6th one. I feel it is more in the control module that is incorporated into the actuator itself. I'm not a tech so I really don't know much about this. Very irritating and always seems to happen a long trips.

TDickerson , Aug 9, 2019