1. tlevan03

I’m looking for a 12v portable compressor that will go to a min of 120 psi. Something I can keep with the camper when we travel. I don’t need or want on board air. I was looking at the viair RV compressors. Just wanted to know if there is anything better and/or cheaper that’s recommended. Thanks

tlevan03 , Oct 14, 2020
  2. Wiredawg

Check this out. I Googled Viair portable Air Compressor and found this. There are others too,

EDIT: 100% duty cycle.

Cheers, Ron

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Wiredawg , Oct 14, 2020
    TFucili and tlevan03 like this.
  3. BarryG TDR MEMBER

I can’t say anything good or bad about viar as I have never owned one but I can say extreme outback makes some good stuff. Cheaper than viar I doubt it but again they are good quality. Mine has been sitting under the truck for 15 years well two trucks moved it to my new one a few years ago

Personally I would not buy anything but 100% duty cycle regardless of brand

BarryG , Oct 14, 2020
    tlevan03 likes this.
  4. seafish

The ViaAir 450 series is very good for the price.

For ultimate reliability and duty cycle look into Extreme Aire products

https://www.extremeoutback.com/

seafish , Oct 14, 2020
    tlevan03 likes this.
  5. tlevan03

Ron, This is the one that I have been looking at. I agree with the 100% DC. I need that, our toy hauler has 110 PSI tires and take awhile to fill. That compressor is a great package. I was just curious to see if anyone recommended anything similar.

tlevan03 , Oct 15, 2020
  6. TFucili

I have the Viair 450 RV, and it has worked great for me.

TFucili , Oct 15, 2020
  7. CVR222NV TDR MEMBER

I would like to get everyone's thoughts on this Viair compressor. Higher CFM but 33% duty cycle. Viair states this is their most powerful portable.

CVR222NV , Oct 15, 2020
  8. Jim W TDR MEMBER

I agree if you need a D.C. Air compressor than the Viair compressor would be a good choice. Since I do not boondock I use a Dewalt pancake 165 PSI 120V, 6 gallon air compressor that is carried in the basement plus 30' of air hose. I use to inflate my tires plus an air drill and a blow off tool.

Just another option and if you get the compressor on sale it is cheaper than the good D.C. models..

Jim W , Oct 15, 2020
    tlevan03 likes this.
  9. tlevan03

Ive considered that option, but id prefer something more compact and more portable because of the amount of stuff that we carry.

tlevan03 , Oct 15, 2020
  10. endoscott

We carry a Viair, portable, not sure model #, have used it quite a bit, works great. Much more portable than a pancake compressor. I also have a Senco for running air nailer, but it's 120V, also love that one. Very lightweight, low volume though, no good for airing up tires, but for nail guns it beats the old compressors all to heck. Plus it's quiet. The Viair is nice if you do a little off roading too, just throw it in the back and you can air up and down as needed. Nice case too with extra coil of hose.

endoscott , Oct 15, 2020
    TFucili likes this.
  11. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I have owned several ViAir 450C's and now a 400C.

The 450's are 100% duty cycle, but slow. In the last 13 years of owning a 450C I never needed the 100% duty cycle, so when I put a pump on my '18 last fall I went with the 400C. It's only a 33% duty cycle but that has no effect on my use, and the 65% higher flow at 80 psi is noticeable.

AH64ID , Oct 19, 2020
    tlevan03 likes this.
  12. endoscott

Yeah, thats good advice for sure. For most things the higher flow probably trumps the duty cycle.

endoscott , Oct 19, 2020
  13. tlevan03

As much as i was hoping to put a Viair compressor on my Christmas list, my neighbor ended up giving me a small compressor that he had in his 5th wheel. Its got a small 2.3 gallon tank and goes to 140 psi. I cant complain with free. If it doesnt work out, Ill be going with a Viair. I greatly appreciate all the input. Thank you

tlevan03 , Oct 20, 2020
  14. Wiredawg

Cool beans! Can't beat free.

Wiredawg , Oct 20, 2020
    HPSimpson and TFucili like this.
  15. Matt42 TDR MEMBER

I carried one of these in my CTD 3500 work truck for 12 years. It was for those times when I was miles from nowhere and one or more of the tires needed attention. The decision to carry it came from an incident--with different trucks--north of Coldfoot on the Dalton Highway where having one, along with a plug kit, saved a lot of trouble. All the years that I carried it, I never once needed it for my truck. But I used it numerous times for other trucks with so-called superior tires. The VaiAir was stored in the service body inside the nylon bag it came with. We beat the living stuffin' out of it over the years and it never failed to work when we needed it.

When I retired, it stayed with the truck.

Matt42 , Jan 8, 2021
    AHutson and Ozymandias like this.
  16. Don-T

I have a Dewalt 20 volt cordless. It is expensive if you don’t already have Dewalt tools because you have t buy batteries and charger. I also have an ARB Twin compressor in a case. It is also expensive but it works great for inflating 35” tires on a Jeep after being off road.

Don-T , Feb 26, 2021
    Wiredawg likes this.
  17. CharlesHoward TDR MEMBER

Onboard Viar with 5 Gallon Tank for Air Horns and courtesy quick connect by the bumper. As seldom as the truck is usually driven that compressor has worked a lot for many years as I've got a slow leak somewhere... still going strong since 2008!

CharlesHoward , Mar 17, 2021
    Wiredawg likes this.
  18. Topzide TDR MEMBER

Don't hate my for asking this. Has anyone tried the HFT 12v 150 PSI compressor? with a price point of $70 and review of taking 8-9 minute to fill 5vr tire. Might be worth a try and test within the 90 day warranty! Just throwing this out there.

Topzide , Mar 18, 2021