1. Rocky in KC

Have Dodge,05,DRW,--also have the extended overload bumpers that contact the overloads sooner.

We have a VERY heavy 12' Lance with slide out-side entry.

We also tow an 18' car hauler, with buggy, and ATV--and have the load lever bars for it-we also have the class 5 hitch, with a 4' stinger for the hitch.

I have always winged it on air bag PSI--(35 to 50)--do not want it to stiff, as wife has bad back!!

What kind of PSI, do you guys run??

Many thanks, Rocky in NM

Rocky in KC , Aug 27, 2011
  2. mpaulson

I run 90 all the time when loaded. Been doing so on this truck for the last 4 years with no problems and on all 5 previous trucks also at 90 when fully loaded with no problems. I have also made 3" spacers that slip onto the tips of the overload springs that I put on when I haul the quads, and remove them all other times as when not loaded, it will litterally ride like it has no supension at all. I'm at 9200# or so on the rear axle when loaded and hooked up to the trailer. It rides nice then. There's pictures of my spacer set up in the photo gallery to the right.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
    mpaulson , Aug 27, 2011
  3. Wertles

This is what I do. Measure the distance from the ground to the top of the wheel well while unloaded. When loaded, fill the air bags until you are back at that height. Now your springs are working where they started off. It works for me but I need the full 100 psi with my 5th wheel. My truck is much more comfortable to ride loaded than empty.

Wertles , Aug 27, 2011
  4. Rocky in KC

Many thanks to all who replied!

Rocky in NM

Rocky in KC , Aug 28, 2011
  5. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

What I would do is load up the truck with all the normal weight, camper, trailer, water, etc. Leave the bags empty. Then slowly add air to each side until you come off the OEM overload bumpers. Then measure the wheel well on each side. Now let air out so you drop about . 75". This will keep you from losing contact on the overloads on rough corners and inducing a harsh ride, and it also keeps the OEM overloads in the game for stability and load carrying.

Take note of what the bags have in them, and then when you empty the truck take note of the pressure as well. The pressure will drop considerably when you remove the weight so you need to know what it is empty so you can be prepared for the next trip.

I let my suspension drop about 1-1. 5" when loaded, that takes about 5 psi in the bags empty for just the TT, and about 8 psi in the bags empty for when I have the quad in the bed and the TT.

The 5 psi goes up to about 15 psi when loaded and the 8 psi goes up to about 25 psi when loaded.

Don't ever set the bags over about 60 psi empty or you could blow them when you put a heavy load on.

I do it very similar; however, I prefer to let the truck sag an inch or two to get more weight on the OEM springs and bottom overload. I don't like all the load resting on the airbags, the ride is much harsher riding than it needs to be. I see people do this all the time, and they never seem to like their ride. Take about 20 psi out of the bags and see how it goes.

AH64ID , Aug 28, 2011
  6. rasteck

I'm still experimenting with mine. The key with my setup is making sure the trailer is level - it cuts out a lot of the chucking on the crappy roads freeways here. I seem to be zeroing on the truck just starting to hit the upper overloads and the hitch adjusted all the way down so the trailer is level.

My truck has the camper package with the double leafs above the axle and the sway bar in the back and rides high to begin with so it really needs to come down some with the weight of the trailer to take advantage of all that.

I'm down to around 25lbs in the bags with the trailer on the hitch.

rasteck , Aug 28, 2011
  7. Regcabguy

If you want to further enhance the handling with a camper on the 3rd. gen+,a Hellwig swaybar works wonders. I installed their basic one,but hardsided camper owners now have the option of the Big Wig thicker one. No interference with the airbags and it'll accommodate a 315-70-17 spare.

Regcabguy , Aug 29, 2011