Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abdiver

I took my truck 05 3500 with only 29K miles on it, it is clean. I installed a dash mat when I first bought the truck new and always keep it installed and I have have a Sun Shade for the Front window that I always use. I took my truck to dealership for them to install replacement air bags, Drivers and passenger side.

I did a walk around with the service consultant I pointed out the only ding in my rear bumper and showed him the Dash area and noted that I had removed everything from the glovebox, and all it was factory clean and NO cracks in the dash. After I got the truck back I checked the neg terminals on both batteries and they were OK. It appears they installed a new rubber weather seal on the passenger side cab door frame, as it looks new and has a dipple in it where they messed up with the install of it around the plastic molding and the plastic molding is not setting flush lower down the cab door fram (I can live with that) I guess. BUT as I was wiping the fingerprints from the dash today in preparation to replace the dash mat, I Now see 2 small cracks !!!!!!!!

Should I complain ? Am I being to picky? Should I just drill a small hole near end of cracks in hope that it will not grow worse? see pictures
    Thanks.............. Bill
    20180426_182551.jpg #ad
    20180426_182531.jpg #ad
    20180426_182605.jpg #ad

20180426_182551.jpg #ad

20180426_182531.jpg #ad

20180426_182605.jpg #ad

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    abdiver , Apr 26, 2018
  2. abdiver

Anyone have a recommendation as to what I could do to stop the cracks from getting any worse? Now after watching the utube video at position 5:30, I see the passenger air bag dash panel removed and it appears it lifts off the dash, that should not have placed any stress on the upper dash that is cracked, in my opinion Perhaps the cracks were there all along ?? thanks again....Bill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zPtrhyIfY0

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    abdiver , Apr 27, 2018
  3. KParsons

the tech broke 2 switches on my dash. i let it go.

KParsons , Apr 27, 2018
  4. DavidC

Welcome to the cracked dash club. I had thought 3rd gens might be improved on that aspect>>>>>>guess not. I had a dash mat on mine from the day of purchase and before it left the lot. The dash had 303 treatments while cleaning and the truck spent a lot of time in the garage so it does not seem to matter what you do if the plastic is not capable of holding itself together to begin with. I don't think these newer (newer than 75ish) are made to last more than 10 years so you have to purchase a replacement. I am waiting for a reputable company to make replacement glove box doors for 2nd gens as mine seems to like eating that part. Changing the plastic dash part at least on a 2nd gen is not hard just time consuming and the more OCD you are about looks and fitment the more time it takes. If you can stand knowing you drilled holes in your dash at both ends of the cracks then that is probably the best way to stop the progression.

Dave

DavidC , Apr 27, 2018
  5. Motorhead

They cracked both of my negative battery cable clamps. I went back before I got off of the lot. The service department bought me BOTH cables and I put them on.
    I say that if the dash was NOT cracked before the recall then the dealer is responsible for the damage.
    A young guy down the street from me is a mechanic at a local Ford dealership. He says that recalls and warranty work doesn't pay much $$ at all. So he says he has to haul butt to make the job pay. I think the mechanics get careless and that the warranty and recall work is given to the greenhorns.

Motorhead , Apr 28, 2018
  6. Crunch

I would at least put a complaint on record. It can't hurt, but I have a feeling that no dealer is going to take responsibility for a cracked dash on a truck that is more than 5 years old. A few years ago I had my truck in to have the power steering pump upgraded to the newer version. I asked them about the recall and they specifically told me that there was a good possibility that the dash could crack, and they aren't responsible if it does. Like you, I've had a Dash Mat on the top since I bought the truck. I use a sun shade on the windshield. There has never been a drop of Armor All near my truck. My dash clean is clean and pristine. But it's stories like yours that add to the reasons why I haven't taken my truck in for the airbag recall. I think all I need is the passenger side done, and I never ride in that seat.:cool: There is a good chance I will never get that recall unless they can inspect my dash and give me reassurance in writing that they will replace it if it cracks. And even then I won't believe them.

Crunch , Apr 28, 2018