Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kschitoskey

After reading numerous horror stories about frying computers, can-bus adapter costs and other complications, I'm considering wiring a replacement aftermarket stereo independent of the factory harness. I put in an aux. fuse panel during my gauge installation and it has room. I'm running separate amps for the speakers, so I don't need the speaker wiring; and I have switched hot / constant hot coming off from the panel. Has anyone else done this? Will disconnecting the stock stereo from the can-bus system cause any problems?

Thanks!

kschitoskey , Mar 2, 2014
  2. p-Bar

Shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure some trucks came with no stereo system installed

p-Bar , Mar 17, 2014
  3. Big_Horn

installed a double din DVD player in my 06 using the factory harness without problems. I am defiantly sure that my head unit uses more power than the stock unit. It houses a GPS unit and has aux. fans to keep things cool. also added a 5 channel amp and speakers all around plus a sub between the seats. never had an issue.

Big_Horn , May 19, 2014
  4. Bob4x4

Pre 4th gen you could do anything you wanted with the stereo systems now not so much

Bob4x4 , May 19, 2014