Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

My used tire addiction was acting up when a meaty set came up on a local 4x4 forum for a stupid low price (300.00), bought it for the tires, wheels came with it.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

The bolt holes are a recessed conical (acorn) style so they'll center and line up with the hub face. But I can't get my 24mm impact socket on them even though the factory lugs fit (I don't have a deep well metric socket set yet) My current OE lug nuts are pretty worn the way they thread on and I was meaning to replace them or get a spare set. So I'm looking for suggestions for any specific lug nut brand or mfg. I've not dabbled in anything wheels and tires related with my truck so I'm not keen as to who makes reputable wheel and tire accessories but I'd like to avoid the kind of hardware that often results in wheels flying off.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

(AAA service call, a young mans wheel flew off going down a road through an intersection, wheel hit another truck on the opposite side of the intersection and landed in the field on the side of the road.)

Darkbloodmon , May 25, 2022
  2. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

A person would feel something is wrong long before the tire and wheel falls off.

I was working on my 240Z and had a date right after finishing it. We were driving along at 35 and something felt very wrong. Then I realized I did not torque after dropping to the ground. I was embarrassed and my gal was concerned but also liked that I was thinking about her so much I forgot something so important. Been Married since 1984.

Cummins12V98 , May 25, 2022
    brucejohnson and Darkbloodmon like this.
  3. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

Oh he knew, decided to keep on in the slow lane. He wasn't far from home though less than 10mi iirc.

Congratz on the upcoming 40th anv. I can barely stand myself looking back 5 years. Every older gentleman I get to talking to tells me to stay single. I get the feeling alot of life is hit or miss with relationships.

Cummins12V98 likes this.
  4. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

I use Gorillaz, seems to be a decent brand and quality.
    Lots of no-name stuff around too.

Ozymandias , May 25, 2022
    Darkbloodmon likes this.
  5. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

Exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

Looking over their website I decided to go with Gorilla's duplex acorn 8 lug set (26145HT). I vaguely remember seeing this brand in brick and morter part stores but in the few online wheel and tire stores I browsed looking I didn't see this brand offered, alot of no name or re-labeled (in house) hardware.

I had a used OEM lug set that I got from some factory 18" steel take off Transforce's; but even those nuts are swollen, tried chasing the threads (M14x1.5) and it was getting stuck near the center on more than a few.

Thanks for the recommendation.

6. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Go with the Black Chrome like I did for my black rims, looks so much better.
    That Black Chrome lasts as good as the standard one, I even use an impact on mine, no problems there. Have done a couple rotations yet and still in mint shape.

Ozymandias , May 26, 2022
    Darkbloodmon likes this.
  7. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Got mine from Amazon, Gorilla sells there. Also got a set of anti-theft nuts too from the same brand/seller.

Ozymandias , May 26, 2022
  8. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

Just went for the chrome, I have a low hanging shiny bits trim going with my factory front and rear chrome bumper and locking hubs, figured the lugs would tie it together a bit.

The wheel finish is dull and in need of some cutting (I tried a small spot on one and it will clean up with some work) but I'm not worried about it after washing the brake dust and mud off. If I like them enough after the tires are spent I might just have them blasted and powder coated.

I'm just happy they weigh less than the OEM steelies with tires. It's a bit weird looking at a cast aluminum wheel and a stamped steel wheel and then picking up the stamped steelie and feeling it weigh so much more in your hand compared to the aluminum wheel. Something about the surface area and volume plays a trick on my perception at least.

Darkbloodmon , May 26, 2022
    Ozymandias likes this.
  9. bcbender TDR MEMBER

X2 on the gorillas, I had them on my 04 and have them on my Bronco, splines are great, not slipping and no getting sockets stuck in the bore.

bcbender , May 26, 2022
    Darkbloodmon likes this.
  10. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

Ordered the wrong thread size lug nuts......:rolleyes: It's not M14x1.5, Mopar and its mindless SAE components on a majority metric truck....

upload_2022-6-4_0-35-51.png #ad

It's a 9/16x18 fine thread.

So glad I don't own a functioning impact. I was rushing trying to get them mounted and bolted to my truck after picking them up from being balanced before work. Got as far as the rear axle off the ground one wheel off and one side broken loose.

Somethings aren't meant to be rushed, glad I took the time to stop and check the threads with my thread chaser set. Probably a sign for me to take my time when I get the right lug nuts and chase/clean all my studs.

Darkbloodmon , Jun 4, 2022
    Topzide likes this.
  11. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Yes, it changed to M14 with the Gen4.

Ozymandias , Jun 4, 2022
    Darkbloodmon likes this.