1. tommyturbo

Reading posts about lost coolant tells me that time is running out on my 2008 cooler.
    Losing about a gallon per month. The DPF is also passing soot around the tailpipe for the
    last eight years but still passes smog. Truck has 180,000 miles and is mainly a grocery getter
    and tows about three times a year. Regeneration driving empty happens every eighty minutes
    and around two hours towing. Around town regeneration cycle takes about 15 to 18 minutes
    to complete since truck was new. The EGR solenoid failed around 100,000 miles ago and
    was replaced with a superseded part number.
    My question is, is an aftermarket cooler such as Dorman or others be O.K. than an OEM?
    Some aftermarket makers say that theirs are a better and longer lasting than OEM.
    Your thoughts?
    Thanks!
    Tommyturbo

tommyturbo , Aug 22, 2023
  2. Topzide TDR MEMBER

I think it's all a quarter flip on which one is better! I think choice would come down to the company that has produced it and warranty/price. Anything the has to live in that "climate" is subject to a rough life! Are you getting bubbles in reservoir bottle? Have you pressure tested the system with the tail pipe down hill from the engine to see if coolant runs out pipe? I chased a coolant leak for about a month and found a loose hose clamp. If you don't have a pressure test kit, the one from HF has served me well over the years. Many adapters for many brands. Good luck confirming the issue.

Topzide , Aug 23, 2023