Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cliffman

Well, my old DT receiver hitch is 2" and the hitch on my new 2018 is 2 1/2. Don't like the idea if using the adapter sleeve and undersizing what the truck is rated for. IMO the adapter sleeve is just for a quick stop gap and hitch covers. Guess I'm in the market for a new receiver hitch. I really liked the adjustability of my DT and it was very clean looking. That said it didn't hold up well to use as far as the finish goes. What else is out there in a class V 2 1/2. The Anderson Rapid Hitch is looking pretty good.

Cliffman , Jan 27, 2018
  2. NIsaacs

3. JR

Do you need a weight distribution hitch? That narrows the field considerably as to what is available. I've got roughly 10 years on my Reese, it's held up well.

4. Cliffman

Nah... Don't think I need to go that far with it. All I pull with my ball hitch is my boat.

Cliffman , Jan 27, 2018
  5. Cliffman

Cliffman , Jan 27, 2018
  6. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

B&W makes a few that are TOP quality US Made. I have CURT they are good US quality also, would never own one of their 5er hitches, China!

Cummins12V98 , Jan 27, 2018
  7. NicholasZurliene

Check out www.genyhitch.com. They offer adjustability, made in usa, and some great capacities in their 2.5" sizes.

NicholasZurliene , Jan 27, 2018
  8. Newsa

Why remove a perfectly good class V hitch? Just install your hitch ball on a 2.5 receiver insert (drawbar)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Newsa , Jan 27, 2018
  9. JR

A bit of a contradiction, if you don't need the capacity to warrant a w/d hitch then you don't need the capacity of a 2-1/2" hitch. The adapters do not decrease capacity of your current 2" set up. Ram would not provide the adapter if there was the slightest bit of liability or weight reduction factors involved. It's your money and your call but what you have will work just fine to haul your boat. I use mine to haul my 14k gvw tilt on a regular basis, and that's with a w/d set up.

10. Cliffman

Sorry for the confusion. What I mean is using the sleeve to pull just about anything reduces the weight rating of the hitch IMO. You were referring to a "weight distribution hitch" and I don't need to go that far with it. I wouldn't use the sleeve for anything other than a hitch cover. Pulling just about anything using the sleeve could damage your hitch from what I've read. I have not personally experienced this but don't care to chance it. As far as this statement goes let me better clarify "Don't like the idea if using the adapter sleeve and undersizing what the truck is rated for" I should wrote... "Don't like the idea if using the adapter sleeve and undersizing what the hitch is rated for."

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Cliffman , Jan 28, 2018
  11. GBBrown

Cliffman, you're on the right track. Im going to a 2 1/2 also. Been using the insert for 3 years now, theres too much slop in it. I bought some shim material and shimmed it up to make it snug. I even welded couple of beads on one of my hitches to tighten it up.

GBBrown , Jan 28, 2018
  12. CMB

Second GenY hitch

13. kthaxton TDR MEMBER

I've found that using a adapter sleeve makes the hitch pin hole get wallowed out....and even bends pins.

kthaxton , Jan 29, 2018
  14. CMB

This thread is very similar to another post currently running. A search on Amazon or Google for "Hitch Tightener" will eliminate the rattle and worn parts. It's like a window clamp that tightens everything up. It also acts as a lock of sorts requiring a 19mm (3/4") wrench to remove. They are available in stainless steel and work great. The GenY hitches have amazing capacities, heirloom type stuff:D

Cheers,

15. jhenderson

Never mind. I decided not to beat the dead horse.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    jhenderson , Jan 29, 2018
  16. Newsa

It's alot cheaper and easier to mount a 2 inch class 4 ball on a 2.5 draw bar than to unbolt a perfectly good hitch and install a lesser hitch

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Newsa , Jan 29, 2018
  17. Tommylee

https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/C45902.html

That’s the hitch I have. It’ll cost ya but it is a very stout piece. 2 1/2 by 2 1/2, comes with a 2” and 2 5/16” ball. You can buy, separately, a pintle hook as well if you needed one of those. I’ve hauled vehicles, cargo trailers, travel trailers with no issues and love the adjustability.

Tommylee , Jan 31, 2018