Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MARSHMELLOWS

I sure would like to know if the A-pillar type gauge mounts are made by the same manufacturer, or by different companies? With all the suppliers of gauge stuff, you'd think there would be several choices. Like everything in life, some choices are better than others. If more than one mfg exists, Who's A-pillar do you recommend? :confused: ? It's difficult to compare an item like this without having all the choices in one place.

I want to make the best choice for installing 2 seperate S. P. A gauges on my A-pillar (I have pillar tweeters too). I've seen a post or two that commented about night vision clarity with S. P. A. 's relating to the multi gauge A-pillar application. Some have said, "... the top gauge is difficult to read (perhaps because) of the different angularity of the pillar mounts. . "I was wondered if the choice of A-pillar mount would make a positive difference?

EGT/Boost (and) Fuel Pressure/Temp. will be my 2 gauges . What make of switches do you recommend for checking multi readings from the Temp gauge?:confused: Who makes a good 2-way switch? 3-way switch? Thanks for your thoughts. :D :D :D Jim

MARSHMELLOWS , Mar 20, 2003
  2. Ladders

On the y2k

I had the 3 guage mount w/tweeter and will go with the 3 on the 03/04. The top on was the boost, cntr was pyro, bot was rear/trans temp. The pyro & temp had switches for both sensors. The were/are the AutoLites and werent that hard to read. The SPA's, being digital may be harder to read but will let others answer that have them. Got mine mount thru Geno's and never painted as it matched close enuff for me.

\\BF//

Ladders , Mar 21, 2003
  3. Steve G

I had both 2 gauge mount and then 3 w/tweeter. The 2 gauge I had SPAs boost/egt on top and trans temp/pres on bottom. I was able to read them fine. When I went to 3, the top was hard to read because of the LED gauge. I'm only 5'8", and this probably had something to do with it. I would put the gauge that you are going to look at the least on top.

Steve

Steve G , Mar 21, 2003
  4. barryg41

MARSHMELLOWS, I bought my gauge pod from Geno's. I had to use a drum sander to make the guages fit. I left it a little tight so I didn't have to use the bracket clamp to cut down on close fits behind the pods.

I mounted the Gauge Pod six inches up from the bottom of the A-pillar trim. If I had put it any lower, my hand would have hit the gauge. Turning the steering wheel with an open hand my fingers will hit the gauge. If I had to do it again I would have put the EGT/Boost guage in the bottom position.

If you are talking about a switch for the EGT. I bought one from Radio Shack. I think part # 275-271. I also wired in LED's depending on switch location turns one light on and the other off. One thing you have to do with the DTDP switch is it has to be installed after the amplifiers. You also have to make sure the grounds are also terminated.

I just installed a Dakota fuel gauge and I used the same switch for pre and post pressures. I mounted it in the cubbie hole below the air bag switch.

HTH

Barry

barryg41 , Mar 21, 2003
  5. BarryG TDR MEMBER

I have 3 spa's in the a pillar and I don't find them difficult to read at all. Heigth may have something do with it, I am 6 foot. Also I do not have the tweeter so it is possible that the tweeters make the top two gauges sit a little higher but really have no idea. I think all a pillars or at least used to be one manufacturer autometer I think) with different names on them. That may have changed since I got mine a couple years ago.

BarryG , Mar 21, 2003
  6. RADdodge TDR MEMBER

I got my 3 gage A pillar pod from Geno's Garage too (17205-AK-DG). I don’t know if they have improved them at all, but there were complaints on the board about mounting them, why this and that, etc. I decided to order a Left Hand A-Pillar (no Tweeter) from Mopar4Less. Cost was about $29. I saved my tweeter A pillar and cut holes in the new one to correspond to the 3 gage pods and the tweeter. Then I used contact cement to bond the 3 pod to the modified plain one. I used Mopar Interior Paint, – Camel (4864437) to paint it. About 6. 50 per can. The pod now mounts with the factory A pillar attachments (no screws, rivets, etc), and the 3 pod with the matching paint looks factory. The SPA gauge I use is for Auto Tran Temp and Fuel Pressure. I have it mounted in the bottom pod and it is easy to see. Some say it’s harder to see around the A pillar, but I think that the Dodge A pillars are large anyway and sometimes cause blind spots, right or left. I don’t think the added gages hurt in that respect.

-Bruce

RADdodge , Mar 21, 2003
  7. Car_nut57

Basically Autometer and Pro Parts are the two "A" pillar mounts we use and frankly you can't see any significant differences in them. They are both covers for the stock pillar and will require significant modification of the stock pillar for the speaker. If properly installed these gauge mounts work very well and look great when painted to match the trucks interior color.

Car_nut57 , Mar 29, 2003