Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BRI7070

Good day all,
    Ok here is what I am doing,
    I have a 96 Ram 2500 2X4 with the NV4500 and a 01 Ram 2500 4X4 with the 47RE and a 241DLD transfer case. I plan on swapping the transmissions to put the nv4500 into the 01, I am aware that I will have to convert the NV4500 to a 4X4 transmission, and put the auto into the 96 and add a NP271 transfer case for the future 4X4 conversion.
    What I need help on is the computers both ECM and PCM. I am in California and the 01 is subject to smog inspection. If the CEL is on, it is an automatic fail of the inspection.
    So, here are my questions,
    1) Do I need to just put in a PCM from a 01 manual truck to make this work?
    2) What about the ECM?
    3) Also for the 96 is it just add a PCM from an auto truck?
    4) What about the wiring for the 01 do I need a different harness for the manual
    5) What about the wiring for the 96 do I need a different harness for the Automatic
    I know the computers are different so just swapping them is a no-go.

I have read that I can get a flash for my smarty to reflash my 01 PCM for manual. Any body know anything about that?

TAI
    Brian

BRI7070 , Sep 15, 2014
  2. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

I will be interested in the input you get on this one. Sounds like a lot of work! SNOKING

SnoKing , Sep 15, 2014
  3. BRI7070

I am more concerned with getting the 01 right. That is subject to California smog inspection. as for the 96 I just want it to work properly

BRI7070 , Sep 16, 2014
  4. cerberusiam Staff Member

You will need the auto PCM and harness for the 96 IF it is a late 96 model. Early 96 models were 47RH, late 96 were 47RE. I am not positive you can put an RE into a RH and make it work without some CEL's staying on or getting the functions right. It will probably take a complete harness swap to do that as the there are major difference between the RE and RH units.

You will need a different harness for the 01 and likely a manual PCM I don't think they are programmable. You will probably have to flash the 01 ECM but maybe not, it was basically just sending info to the PCM for trans operation.

For as much work as thta will take and the need to make it smoggable, just rebuild the auto with good parts. It will be far better than the 4500 if you have any power upgrades.

cerberusiam , Sep 19, 2014
  5. BRI7070

Cerberusiam,
    Thanks for the input. My auto is a full DTT trans and is doing great. What I am doing is taking the 96 and doing a body swap. I am shorting the wheel base and putting the body from my 78 Ramcharger on it. This will be my play toy, both offroad and at the strip, and that is why I want the auto. I use my 01 to tow with and would prefer the NV4500 in there.

BRI7070 , Sep 20, 2014
  6. DTWeber

I do know that the vins are stored in the ECM's and they might come up when you get your emissions test done , good luck , I agree that a whole wire harness swap might be in store for you ! . They are still easier than a Ford LOL and better

DTWeber , Sep 22, 2014
  7. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

If you have a tight TC with the DTT transmission, that will not be very good for off road. Having a rig for the strip and offroad are at two ends of the spectrum. I took my truck down the Shafer trail at Moab with my 89% DTT TC and it was not a nice experience. With a tight torque convert when you go to low range the brakes will barely hold it back on payment much less offroad! The truck is very jumpy in low range!!! Tight TC trucks are freeway queens.

[​IMG][​IMG]#ad

SNOKING

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    SnoKing , Sep 22, 2014
  8. DTWeber

Hey snoking are you going to pull an Evil kaneivel on one of those canyons send a picture LOL

DTWeber , Sep 22, 2014
  9. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

Wife almost divorced me over the trip down the trail! SNOKING

SnoKing , Sep 22, 2014