1. Fordracer350

My 2008 6.7 Cummins had the transmission replaced for the prior owner and apparently they jacked on the engine oil pan, which crushed it in about 1/2-3/4 inch. There are no leaks, the engine runs great with excellent oil pressure, but I would like to replace the oil pan. Can that be done without pulling the engine?

Fordracer350 , May 26, 2021
  2. MichaelOverfield

MichaelOverfield , May 27, 2021
  3. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

To pull the transmission the Engine stays untouched where it is, I've no clue why someone would use a jack or anything else for that task.

Ozymandias , May 28, 2021
    MichaelOverfield likes this.
  4. TRAMPLINEMAN TDR MEMBER

I know the model years are different, but on my ‘06 I had to pick the motor out of the mounts to get enough clearance to slide the pan over the cross member. There was only a couple of things I had to disconnect in the engine bay to raise the motor, it really wasn’t that bad. The motor only had to go up a couple inches to gain enough clearance. I used a two ton engine hoist to pick the motor.

TRAMPLINEMAN , May 28, 2021
    MichaelOverfield likes this.
  5. TwinnTibbsDiesel

Yes loosen the transmission mounts but don't take them off. Put a heavy duty jack on the harmonic balancer and I would suggest you use some 2x4s first and jack the motor up a little bit. Then take the motor mount bolts off and jack the motor up 6 inches. You will have to move all the wiring harness by the firewall up out of the way by taking all the clips off. The big wiring harness plug on the drivers side by the firewall must be moved also or the engine will not go up enough. The air intake must come off also and batteries disconnected for safety. After you drain all the oil loosen all the bolts and drop the pan as much as possible and reach in and there are 4 bolts that need to come off to drop the oil pickup tube then you can wiggle the pan out. It's a pain but I did it. It takes about 4-6 hours because I took my time and had a friend help me. Also I recommend good jack stands to hold the front end up. Just take your time and jack the motor up as much as possible it will go up 6 inches even if it doesn't look like it can. Oh also the 4 bolts holding the fan shroud have to come off so the fan can go up with the motor. I suggest painting the oil pan with about 3-4 coats of krylon rust pain so that it doesnt rust. Mine was rusted thats why I changed mine on my 08 Dually .

TwinnTibbsDiesel , May 31, 2021
  6. bighammer

Jack up an engine by the harmonic balancer? That just feels wrong to me. :eek:

bighammer , May 31, 2021
  7. TRAMPLINEMAN TDR MEMBER

Ya, I would never do this. If you don’t have one, rent an engine hoist.

TRAMPLINEMAN , May 31, 2021
    bighammer likes this.
  8. TwinnTibbsDiesel

I had a piece of wood with a half circle cut in it. It didn't hurt the harmonic balancer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2021
    TwinnTibbsDiesel , Jun 21, 2021
  9. bighammer

Good to know, thanks. ;)

I really didn't think you would ever damage the harmonic balancer, but concentrating that much weight on the crankshaft doesn't seem like the best approach. My luck, I'd discover an oil leak from the front seal a month later.

It's similar to the front hub removal on the 4x4 models. People say using the right combination of sockets/tools you can use the power steering to press it off. Soon after replacing a U joint, I also needed ball joints, because the lower on the same side, decided to loosen up.

bighammer , Jun 21, 2021
  10. Scott6

my 08 was a PITA. I had the trans off for other reasons and tried to do the pan but it would clear the pickup. Since I didn't have a engine hoist, I couldn't really jack it up without the trans hooked up for stability. I found it easier to put the trans back on (3rd leg), then loosen the mounts and lift it form the front. I would not do this again, pretty risky, next time I will secure an engine house and do it the right way.

I did do a superb job on the new gasket so I dont expect to be dealing with that again for a long long time.

C6A341C9-F0DF-4154-9273-752073D80150.jpeg #ad
    5A973545-7D73-48F2-9D03-7AD5349C75AD.jpeg #ad
    Thats how high it needed to be to clear the trans and oil pickup tube.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    Scott6 , Jun 22, 2021
  11. TwinnTibbsDiesel

Next time I'll just pull the engine I'm buying an engine puller soon ! I'm also changing the harmonic balancer to a Fluid Damper soon as my Dual CP3 kit comes from Industrial Injection .

TwinnTibbsDiesel , Jun 24, 2021