Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryG TDR MEMBER

Does anyone know if using the 5th wheel prep group if it is ok to also use a spray in bed liner like Linex. Will the hitch pucks still lock in ok?

It would be cheaper for me to not get the 5th wheel prep group on the new truck as I have to buy a new hitch base that along with the cost of the hitch prep group is around 1300. I can install another B&W gooseneck hitch for around $400.00 and another 60ish for the in bed plug and continue using my existing hitch base. However I don't want to get hung up on $800. As long as the 5th wheel group will still allow the use of a spray in bed liner when using the hitch then I don't have to try and find one without the group. If I order a 17 it will be mute but right now I am finding some pretty good prices on 16's.

BarryG , Oct 10, 2016
  2. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Fifth wheel prep group COST is $340. Berliner was included with the LongHorn package.

Get the prep and factory liner you will thank me!!!

Cummins12V98 , Oct 10, 2016
  3. Minnow101

I got the 5th prep group and had a LineX sprayed in after the fact on my '16 Ram 3500. The LineX did not affect the ability to install or remove the ball or anchor chain pucks. I use both.

Minnow101 , Oct 10, 2016
  4. wyosteve TDR MEMBER

Mine also came with the prep group and bedliner. I'd say just be sure they don't spray the liner into the puck holes as that would change the depth/thickness and might lead to problems.

wyosteve , Oct 10, 2016
  5. RustyJC

Mine came with the prep group and factory bedliner. Of course, that also provides the gooseneck receptacle. I retired the B&W Companion RVK3500 (I'd been using the same head since 2001) and treated the truck to a new RVK3600 that utilizes the factory pucks. Don't overlook the fact that the 3600 gives you another 5000 lbs of tow rating (25,000 lbs GTW) over the current Turnoverball/Companion RVK3500 combination that's rated 20,000 lbs GTW.

Rusty

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    RustyJC , Oct 10, 2016
  6. Newsa

The installers are responsible to do it correctly so it doesn't disable features of your truck. Or advise you otherwise.

Newsa , Oct 14, 2016
  7. TimBramble TDR MEMBER

RustyJC - "I retired the B&W Companion RVK3500 (I'd been using the same head since 2001) and treated the truck to a new RVK3600 that utilizes the factory pucks." Rusty, does the new 3600 sit at about the same height as the old 3500?

I saw in another thread were a guy was towing a Rockwood 5th wheel like we want to get in a 2014 2500 with the RVK3500 hitch. If the dimensions are the same, I should be good to get the RVK3600 to fit the pucks in my 2016 2500.

TimBramble , Nov 29, 2016
  8. buntster

I had an aftermarket spray-in liner put in mine, and I can use my GN attachments just fine. Haven't tried a fifth-wheel yet, but can't see any reason it won't work just fine.

buntster , Nov 29, 2016
  9. Cummins2014

I did the Rhino liner on my fifth wheel prep ,they opened the puck holes slightly so the plastic liners still fit, covered just the puck holes so no spray in them, not an issue. I use a Reese picture frame that fits the pucks, and all is well.

Cummins2014 , Nov 29, 2016
  10. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

My truck came with the OEM bedliner and I installed the 4 pucks and 7 pin. No problem. SNOKING

SnoKing , Nov 29, 2016
  11. Dieselnerd

I'm not Rusty but I did replace my old Companion with a new 3600 base. I always had my old one set at the lowest height setting and did the same with the 3600. The 3600 at the lowest setting is about an inch higher than the old one.

The trailer sat slightly nose high with the old base and a little higher with the 3600. Not enough to look bad while towing but very noticeable inside when parked while hitched. It used to tow level with my 2005 SRW 3500 but even though it had the same size rims as my 2014 DRW, it settled lower because of the much heavier springs on the DRW.

I recently had a whole new independent suspension with disc brakes put on my trailer and had it raised 3 inches at the same time so I have really good clearance and the trailer sits level when fully loaded.

Dieselnerd , Nov 30, 2016
  12. LandShark

The B&W puck base is adjustable a small amount in all directions.

LandShark , Nov 30, 2016
  13. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

The RVK3600 at the lowest setting is higher than the 18K Companion at the lowest setting I had on my 11 Dually. I thought it was 2" higher.

Cummins12V98 , Nov 30, 2016
  14. Dieselnerd

You're probably right. As I recall it was more than an inch. I just did a quick measure on my garage floor before I installed it.

Dieselnerd , Nov 30, 2016
  15. TimBramble TDR MEMBER

Thanks for the response guys. I guess I will have to investigate our intended trailer more closely. We are considering a Rockwood 8299BS, and it has the torsion bar axles instead of leaf springs. Dealer does not recommend lifting it, and I really would not want it sitting higher anyway. I don't want to buy the trailer if I can't tow it level and have 6" above the bed rails.

And I didn't mean to hijack this thread. My truck has the factory 5th wheel prep, and I had the dealer add a spray in liner. They did a nice neat job, and it looks like the hitch will drop ito the pucks with no interference from the liner!

TimBramble , Nov 30, 2016