Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Wenrich TDR MEMBER

A little less than one year ago I posted a problem related to a P2201 Code upstream nox sensor problem. Contact dealer asap of course. At the time I did the research on the part and bought a Dorman sensor thru Amazon. It had mostly good and a few bad reviews but was much cheaper than OEM ($495) so I took a chance. Ran with it for about 8 months (1,000 miles) before it too went bad. The truck had around 41K at the time of the first failure. Think Covid and i'm not going anywhere long distance.

Since I was not certain what might be causing this I paid a local tech to trouble shoot the sensor. Turns out it had a different problem that the original. The module on the Dorman unit went bad. The original had an issue with the sensor itself. Ordered a factory replacement part thru the mechanic, which was cheaper than the FCA part ($735 vs $1300 and one other estimate at $1000). When the part arrived it turned out to be a Cummins original part. Came with the mounting bracket as well unlike the Dorman unit. Mechanic said often times they order factory parts that sometimes are FCA and other times Cummins. Depends on the part.

So the main reason I am posting is to update now that I have another 1K miles on the truck and with no problem. Fingers crossed as i say this of course. Amazon is making good on the faulty part and refunding my money so no problem there. However, if anyone contemplates using the Dorman part I would not recommend that. I generally like their products but to have the unit fail at the module is troublesome. BTW, the electronic signal made it to the module but not out the other side to the sensor.

All of this was on a 2014 Ram but an early build so likely a 2013 engine that has the module on the side of the engine. PIA to get to and I had the young mechanic do the second one. Well worth the $135 in labor.

Mike Wenrich , Nov 12, 2020
    Wiredawg and TFucili like this.
  2. DonFitzwater

Dorman=Chinese junk. If you are looking for mirrors or cheap light fixture alternatives Dorman is hard to beat. If you need a critical engine or electrical component, look elsewhere.

DonFitzwater , Nov 12, 2020
  3. Larry Willard TDR MEMBER

I also3 years ago, used the Dorman replacement (Rock Auto) only about 20000 miles so far but no problem. Mine was an exact replacement so no mounting issues.
    Larry

Larry Willard , Nov 12, 2020
    Wiredawg likes this.
  4. Mike Wenrich TDR MEMBER

Just to add on to my post, the warranty had to go thru Amazon because they became the warranty station. I contacted Dorman first and they referred me to the actual seller. Seemed strange to me since Amazon did not make the part. They do not want the part back and I guess Dorman does not either. One would think they might want to know what happened. Larry...good to hear yours is holding up. I was thinking maybe the mounting location on the side of the engine might be part of the problem. Ram moved it to the frame rail sometime in 2014, which placed in an easier to access location and further away from heat.

Mike Wenrich , Nov 13, 2020
    Wiredawg likes this.
  5. skorski TDR MEMBER

My sencer also went on my 14 dealer wanted $1300 WENT TO CUMMINS NORTH EAST $300 and change I always check with cummins first,

skorski , Nov 15, 2020
    Rob S and Wiredawg like this.
  6. TRAMPLINEMAN TDR MEMBER

Two upstream sensors went on my ‘14. One under warranty, the other was out of warranty. I bought my replacement parts from some guy in TX. It’s been over a year with no issues.

TRAMPLINEMAN , Nov 15, 2020
  7. Mike Wenrich TDR MEMBER

Going direct to Cummins and buying this sensor for a lot less than any price I have heard before sounds like the way to go. I have no idea if Cummins in Kalifornia will sell that part at that price and maybe skorski gets a mechanic discount? But if I have to do this again, and I probably will the with the number of these that fail, I will try them first. Unfortunately the nearest dealer is at least 100 miles away but that would be worth the drive.

Also curious if those that have a problem with these have the part located on the side of the engine, as mine is. Anyone watching this thread with a '13/'14 might also be interested, although I saw the video the Motor City fellow posted and that one was on the frame rail. Any part can fail but possibly the location has something to do with it.

Mike Wenrich , Nov 15, 2020
  8. kthaxton TDR MEMBER

I installed a Dorman downstream sensor 2-3 years ago. No problems since.

kthaxton , Nov 17, 2020
  9. Ltngdrvr

Any part can fail, obviously the oem original part failed, the dorman part failed, the Cummins part can fail, that's what a warranty is for. One failed on my truck while it was still under the maxcare warranty, cost me $100 deductible and has been on the truck for about 300k so far.
    Point is, anything like this can fail.
    And, any of these sensors could very well be made in china, india, taiwan, oem RAM part, Dorman part, even the Cummins part.

Ltngdrvr , Nov 17, 2020
    Rob S and Wiredawg like this.
  10. kthaxton TDR MEMBER

Yeah, I have my doubts that a factory electrical device (consisting of a circuit board and other parts) is "Made in USA".

kthaxton , Nov 17, 2020
    Mike Wenrich likes this.