Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ablakemore

Have a Stock 1996 CTD, 5-sp, 4x4, 4:10,

I know this question has probably been asked a hundred times, but I'm new to this site so here goes.

I want to change oil in my driveline (5-sp, transfer case, both diffentials LS rear) I do pull a fifth wheel travel trailer on weekend get aways and vacations. About 9000 lbs.

Questions I have:

-Is the Amsoil 2000 75w90 for NV4500 better than the Castrol Syntorq? :rolleyes:

-Because I pull a trailer should I use the Amsoil 2000 Series 75w140 in the rear differential and non 2000 series 75w90 in the front differential? :confused:

-Is the Amsoil 2 stage oiled air filter OK to swithch over to?

:confused:

Thanks in Advance!!!!!

:) :) ;)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2001
    ablakemore , Sep 2, 2001
  2. DSiemens

I would stick with Syntorq. The oil was designed for transmission and I would not risk this to others when Dodge specifically calls for it. It they called for 75W90 Synthetic, I would run Amsoil, but when they call by brand name, there is a reason.

DSiemens , Sep 2, 2001
  3. Sled Puller

Amsoil Series 2000 75w-90 is 100% safe to use in that trans. And much better in the long run. And not $22 a quart. And Amsoil has a written warranty.

Call Amsol tech line at 715-392-7101.

Also ask www.enterpriseengine.com what they are putting in their rebuilds. They have seen the difference. Ask for Doug.

Use the 2k 75-90in the front and rear. I would only use the 140 if you were hot shotting or sled pulling, extreme abuse.

The filter flows as much as K&N and cleans as good or better as paper if it is oiled properly. Too much is messy, not enough it does not filter as it should.

I am seriously considering the large round paper filter a lot of the guys are going to.

Gene

Last edited: Sep 2, 2001
    Sled Puller , Sep 2, 2001
  4. '956Wheel

Kaylabee,

You will hear a lot of opinions, and there are a few Amsoil dealers on the site. I had asked the same question a couple months ago... what a BIG fire I started. Payed the bucks, went with the factory recomended stuff, (GM uses it too) and got rid of a little click I had going into second.

Who knows what is better. . the stuff any given member uses is certainly THEE best. Bucks does not matter as you don't change it every 10 minutes anyway!

$nap on tools are the best too... . but then how many Craft$man hand tools have you broken?

Bottom line..... get what you settle on after the post stops smoldering!

Mike

'956Wheel , Sep 2, 2001
  5. Don M

Syntorq is the correct fluid. GM sells it cheaper than the Dodge house.

Read the article from Joe Donnelly in the latest TDR.

Standard transmission sells the fluid by the gallon for 54 bucks.

A gallon is the correct amount BTW.

Syntorq oil is designed for the NV4500.

Don~

Don M , Sep 2, 2001
  6. Extreme1

Here we go again!

ALL OF THEM!!

No more Crapsman for me!:rolleyes:

Extreme1 , Sep 3, 2001
  7. JJW_ND

I only have 30K experience with factory Castol fill and it did not do any better or worse then the fluid I have since used. I then switched to Amsoil back when it was guarenteed that IT (GL5) would cause damage. I have monitored trans temp, and sample the oil often. I have yet to here Amsoil Series 2000 or any other "good" GL5 oil cause damage that was related to the oil (not keep the 5th gear from falling off or the associated damage). I have only heard of NVG own testing..... and what year was that? I have ran Amsoil Series 2000 75w90 175K miles with several changes and lots of oil samples. I like many had 5th gear fall of one to many times. Last time at 150K, I choose to replace with new 98+ 5sp. Core was sent to OH transmission shop for rebuild. Other then replacement to repair damage from 5th gear , sycros and bearings were fine for reuse. This trans had lots of hard "hotshot" miles and was pulled with increase power for last 100K.

If you are putting on miles and have to change rear Differential frequently anyway, requiring have a good 75W90 fluid on hand, I would run Amsoil Series 2000 in all differentails and 5sp. If you just want to change the trans fluid to say you did and probably never again in that truck, I would put the castrol back in. Based on what I have read and personaly experienced (oil test), I would change the Trans every 50K, rear diff every 30 - 50K and the front every 50 - 75K. This assumes the truck is being worked, pulled and abused.

Regarding the rear differentail, I have yet to find a hot enough day, pulling long illegal loads that the 75W90 failed or allowed damage in the rear differential. At 199K everything is still tight quite and samples come back very good. LSD works like the day I picked it up.

BTW, don't call my for Amsoil as I am not a dealer. It is just one over several products I have found to work as good or better then factory

jjw

ND

JJW_ND , Sep 3, 2001
  8. Joseph Donnelly

As I reported in TDR, horsepower drag tests showed nothing was better than GL4 rated Castrol Syntorq. Torco RTF (racing trans fluid) was almost as good and is GL6 rated. I recently tested the Torco in summer towing situations and found it kept the trans as cool as Castrol did. I'll probably keep the Torco in my NV4500. The 75-90 lubes I tested--three brands of synthetics--were not as good for drag. One in particular heated up very fast. We deliberately warmed all of them to run them at the same temperatures, by making dyno power runs before the drag runs.

Joseph Donnelly , Sep 3, 2001
  9. ablakemore

Thanks for all the info. I have 70,000 miles on my truck and want to change the oil. I don't do anything too crazy like most of you guys out there:p :p :p Not yet anyway. Sounds like I'll bite the bullet and spend the money for Castrol Syntorq. :D :D

Thanks

Allen

ablakemore , Sep 3, 2001
  10. Sled Puller

Ahhhh, biteing the bullet to pay more for less.

Daimler gets another one!!!:D

Gene

Sled Puller , Sep 3, 2001
  11. '956Wheel

M:D :D :D G:D :D :D M:D :D :D Money never seemed to matter here! Why would it start now????????????

'956Wheel , Sep 4, 2001
  12. Sled Puller

HA!:D

Money doesn't matter when you get what you pay for, but DC has got a lot of guys suckered on this one!

Remember fellas, Castrol was LOW bidder on the lube for that transmission!!!

Just trying to help my fellow TDR guys out here, hate to see them ripped off! But hey, if you guys want to be ripped, that is fine!

BTW, I have broke more S-K stuff than any other tool!!!

I buy Snap- On and Mac any chance I get at flea markets. Always have an eye out for older tools, they seem to be made out of better steel. :eek:

Gene

Sled Puller , Sep 4, 2001
  13. radixr

Why Pay More?

I'm with MGM here. I have not heard any credible reports of transmission damage caused by Amsoil 2000 Series gear lube in the 5-speed. I've used it for 40,000 miles now with no problems (a recent transmission teardown showed absolutely no signs of abnormal wear -- in face, just the opposite).

I don't particularly like the pyramid marketing scheme they use, but to pay 2 or more times the price doesn't make sense to me.

radixr , Sep 4, 2001
  14. ablakemore

4500 gear lube

I HATE BITING THE BULLET. ITS JUST THAT YOU WANT TO DO THE RIGHT THING!!!! SO AMSOIL IT IS..... :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p :p :p :D :D :D

Last edited: Sep 4, 2001
    ablakemore , Sep 4, 2001
  15. Sled Puller

"In face" Radixr???

I just get done dispelling one myth, and you pop up with "pryamid" crap!!

One more time, AMSOIL IS NOT A PYRAMID SCHEME!!

Haven't you been listening!?!?!:D

LOL!

kaylabee, you will not be sorry, trust me!

Gene

16. '956Wheel

MGM, What was disspelled... . ya got the sale! Congratulations!

What time is that Tupperware party... Mom & I do not wanna be late. :) ;) :p :rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :confused:

Mike

'956Wheel , Sep 4, 2001
  17. Sled Puller

I didn't get the sale!!

Who cares where he buys it, just so one of my Cummins Buddies does not put that overpriced crapola back in his 4500!

Just the facts, just the facts. :D

I keep my Snap-Ons in tupperwear, lightly lubricated with Amsoil Metal Protector!

LOL!:rolleyes:

18. radixr

Gene, sometimes I think you keep your "Snap-Ons" in your underwear! Are all your underwear tools lightly lubricated with Amsoil Metal Protector?:D :D :D

radixr , Sep 4, 2001
  19. '956Wheel

Dats what I'm talk'in 'bout! MGM and Rad ya got me laughing so hard... Gotta go and burp the tupperware:eek: :eek: My brother is a Snap- on dealer, and even with the "deal" they are too much... ain't got no use for tupperware either! If you can turn bolts with it and it lasts its good in my book. :rolleyes:

Mike

'956Wheel , Sep 4, 2001
  20. SMorneau

If your nv4500 has never had the 5th gear problem fixed I would not bother changing the fluid at all. Twice I avoided the cost of changing the fluid by procrastinating and got to use the money shortly thereafter to invest in repairs that were not due too lubrication failures.

In other words, my experience has been the fluid will outlast a stock transmission! It is my understanding DC has not fixed the problem and has not introduced any new attempts in over a year. Shame on them!

SMorneau , Sep 6, 2001