Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

My steering is in need of TLC at 124K miles.

I think we are behind all the issues on the 08.5+ kits and want to go that route.

What's the best place to get the 08.5+ steering kit these days?

AH64ID , Oct 30, 2016
  2. GCP

I'm at the same cross roads with my '08. She's headed to the shop tomorrow for new u-joint, ball joints and possibly new bearings. So I too am considering doing the upgrade while they're working on the front end. Is the upgrade a true improvement and does it offer a better ride or handling?

3. EDankievitch TDR MEMBER

Do the upgrade the 08 system is much better. It keeps the wheels aligned (toe in). The old system the toe in would change as the truck bounced. I did the update on my 05 and my friends 04 back in 2008. I had well over 200,000 miles on my kit when I traded my 05 in. My friend has over 225,000 miles on his kit. Even with the recalls on the kits they held up much better than the old design.

EDankievitch , Oct 31, 2016
  4. cerberusiam Staff Member

About the only thing the upgraded steering has going for it is beefier components on the tie rods. The y-type steering actually handled better in normal driving conditions than the t-type, the components were lighter which caused a lot of the problem in hard usage. Toe change is never an issue unless you are offroading and even then it doesn't really affect anything on the tires as the traction is limited anyway.

I said the tie rods were beefier, but, the drag link ends were not. I am on my 3rd set of drag links ends, greasable, in some 90-100k miles. About every 35-40k have to replace them as they start getting slack in the joints, too much stress from the drag link angle and weight, the tie rod constantly wants to roll with the thrust angle on the drag link and there is not a good way to fix that.

Bump steer is much worse, especially if the worn out less than adequate stock springs are replaced with a good quality variable rate spring that levels the truck. The stock box is responsible for a lot of the steering issues, once you use the later big sector Mopar box you find out what is really going on in the suspension.

The real solution is a cross over steering setup like al the later Dodge and Ford trucks use, just nothing available that won't require fabrication. The Ford MD steering components are probably the best choice as they are heavy enough and easily sourced, really cleans up the problems even with a lift and big tires. Even works well with the fats ratio Borgeson boxes.

The Synergy system is about the heaviest bolt on there is on the market and a better design than OE with the drag link placement, if you can get all the parts. Some reports of back ordered ends and availability.

cerberusiam , Oct 31, 2016
  5. brods

As for the heaviest system available, who knows, this EMF kit looks pretty stout, but it might be the most expensive one at $1,300 :eek: http://www.cjcoffroad.com/EMF-Heavy-Duty-Steering-Kit-Dodge-Ram-2500-3500-p/52122362ah.htm

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    brods , Oct 31, 2016
  6. ranger 393

ranger 393 , Oct 31, 2016
  7. brods

brods , Oct 31, 2016
  8. cerberusiam Staff Member

Ah, I se it has moved from Coming Soon status, to back ordered. That is about as close as it can get to cross over steering and still bolt on, spendy but it looks beefy. Unfortunately, EMF delivering on their ideas and engineering frequently gets in the way. Not much good if you need ti now and cannot get it for who knows how long.

cerberusiam , Oct 31, 2016
  9. ranger 393

The EMF system is a nice looking unit, looks well built.

10. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I have to ask... are those kits more than 2x as good as OEM??

I have 124K on my OEM stuff right now....

There may be more issues with the T style; however, I don't think my use is overly hard on steering. Isn't 124K more than average for stock steering components.

AH64ID , Oct 31, 2016
  11. brods

Yep that is a good point. The original stock Y type on my truck went 82K before there was some looseness in a rod end. Caught up in the hype over the 08 upgrade I "upgraded" to the T type in Nov of 09. After 25K the T type right tie rod end showed play so the original Y linkage went back on for another 10K before all the rod ends were replaced. Recap: 92K on the stock Y type, 25K on the Mopar T type. I plan on staying with the Y type until parts are no longer available or a true crossover kit comes out that doesn't cost a million bucks.

brods , Oct 31, 2016
  12. ranger 393

I replaced mine with the synergy linkage ,and it is noticably beefier. All ends are rebuildable/replaceable. They are solid bar ,so they are heavy, I upgraded mine from the "y" setup due to death wobble, along with everything else uder the front end.

13. brods

Ironic thing about the T type is people recommend it as a cure for DW. According to a Jeep engineer the T type is more susceptible to DW than the Y type because of the direct link between both both wheels. The cure for DW is tight steering and suspension components, balanced wheel and tire assemblies, proper caster (not the internet myth of just crank up more caster), proper alignment, etc.

brods , Nov 1, 2016
  14. ranger 393

I don't think it was a cure for the death wobble in mine by no means. That is why I replaced everything under there. Its funny what fixed one truck didn't fix another. I felt like the ball joints were my problem, but to be on the safe side I replaced everything.

ranger 393 , Nov 1, 2016
  15. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I've never had DW.

I thought Y type was already obsolete? Last time I looked, a couple years ago, I don't recall being able to find Y components.

AH64ID , Nov 1, 2016
  16. verk

No DW here either, 140k on original drag link, tie rod ends, damper. I did replace stabilizer/sway links and stabizer bar bushings when I installed Spyntec front locking hubs. I periodically grease tie-rods which I remember as being the only factory grease fitting on truck. About three years ago there was a safety recall ( N62/ NHTSA 13V-528 ) in which the "original left tie rod ball stud on the Mopar service parts steering linkage may fracture under certain driving conditions." My vehicle did not need tie-rod end replaced. This thread makes me realize that I may be just getting used to my steering so I'll now inspect. Thanks for good links to aftermarket replacements.

verk , Nov 1, 2016
  17. brods

https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/products/dodge_ram_2500_4wd_2005
    Not sure if that link will display correctly. It lists a 1st design and 2nd design. The 1st design parts are still available from RockAuto. If you want to be sure I can dig up the Y type Moog part numbers from the receipt a few years back. At this point I think the only problematic part might the rod end connecting the drag link to the large box's pitman arm. I have not seen a Dodge part number for that rod end and don't know if its available anywhere else.

"03-08 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 Steering Linkage Upgrade Fixes-Death Wobble Oem Mopar" :https://www.amazon.com/Steering-Linkage-Upgrade-Fixes-Death-Mopar/dp/B0046NUOLM
    Others make the same claim and still others strongly imply the T linkage will stop DW but stop just short of claiming it. http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p-5062-mopar-09-steering-upgrade-kit-for-03-08-25003500.aspx

brods , Nov 1, 2016
  18. cerberusiam Staff Member

I thought Moog was still making all the pieces for the y-type but maybe they are being phased out now. You may have no choice but to revamp everything.

Dodge used to include a cross over tie rod end for the big box to the older style linkage and that I know has been dropped from the kit.

cerberusiam , Nov 1, 2016
  19. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

So what's the consensus on MOOG parts? I always thought they were junk.

AH64ID , Nov 1, 2016
  20. BILTIT

I purchased some replacement parts for my original y type setup last summer. I cant recall the exact parts but the one at the pitman arm and 2 tie rods i think.

BILTIT , Nov 1, 2016