Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coalsmoke

I recently developed a slow ticking noise when I am in 4lo and a faster same noise in 4hi (nothing in 2wd). You can only here it when the truck is really underload, but it is definitely noticable. I'm quite sure that it is coming fom the T-case, but other than that I have no ideas. Maybe a chipped gear? Opinions / advice. I'm heading on a long roadtrip soon and I would like to know that it is not a precurser to catastrophic failure. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Stephan

Coalsmoke , Jul 25, 2004
  2. biggy238

If it happens only in 4wd that you should be alright on your road trip. Sorry I can't help with the source. I've had way too many thinks that tick in the 4wd department to single it out :)

I do think you're onto it with the chipped gear though.

biggy238 , Jul 25, 2004
  3. willyslover

follow the link. .

http://www.transfercases.com/

good guys to deal with and very low prices . .

might be worth a call and a few questions also ... worth a try

[Oakland is in the San Francisco bay Calif. area for those that don't know]

willyslover , Jul 25, 2004
  4. Coalsmoke

Thanks, I'll give them a call if the ticking gets any worse. I might just open it up myself when I get back.

Coalsmoke , Jul 25, 2004
  5. SBrandon

if the source truely is in the transfer case in might just be the planetary gearset, or the chain, transfercases are simple to work on and the parts are cheap, Youd have to pull the thing down to replace it any how and thats harder than tearing one apart. Plus it would be awfully hard for me to shell out a grand on a new t case verses maybe fifty to one hundred to replace a few parts.

SBrandon , Jul 26, 2004
  6. Coalsmoke

That's sort off along the lines that I was thinking too. Even the used but rebuilt ones are 850 + exchange (which would probably cost around 150 to ship my core out of Canada)

Coalsmoke , Jul 26, 2004
  7. BCaldwell

Just a thought could it maybe be a u-joint going south and your'e getting sound transfer?

Bill

BCaldwell , Jul 26, 2004
  8. BPonci

Pull your front driveshaft and then try it. It might be your CV joint on your front driveshaft. Let us know what you find.

BPonci , Jul 26, 2004
  9. Coalsmoke

front driveshaft was it.

Coalsmoke , May 27, 2005