Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hayman TDR MEMBER

Should I buy the 2019 Ram 2500 Diesel with the huge rebates or should I wait for the 2020? Will the 2020 Ram 2500 be a 8 or 10 speed transmission paired with the Cummins?

Hayman , Dec 14, 2019
  2. KCJackson1

No powertrain changes for 2020. A new trans is not likely until the HDs are updated to the 1500s body... that's expected in 2022.

KCJackson1 , Dec 14, 2019
    promisedland likes this.
  3. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Some say MY 2021 will see the new trans, means August 2020 - probably the 8th Gear ZF HD-transmission.
    Not to mix up with the one that is now used in the Gassers.
    I myself would wait, the 8th Gear is worth it.

Ozymandias , Dec 15, 2019
  4. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

The 2500 may still get the 68RFE in house transmission. The extended gear transmission may be a swap out for the optional Aisin only. The 68RFE with 3:73 gears in the 2019 should do anything that you want to do with a 2500.

SnoKing , Dec 15, 2019
  5. nukegm

nukegm , Dec 15, 2019
  6. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

I see a lot of people saying this. Did you watch the Ike RAM DRW AISIN VS GM SRW? Extra gears sure didn’t help the GM.

I can see the advantages for a gasser but not so sure it’s that big of a deal with the Cummins.

Cummins12V98 , Dec 15, 2019
  7. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Why has a class 8 a full 16 gears?
    I'ts mainly because of the narrow rev range that a diesel engine has.
    The more gears the more the engine can run within the peak torque range with the least amount of fuel.

Rams Gassers turn freely and easy up to 5000rpm, and are nicely usable between 1500 and 4500 rpm.
    Our Cummins likes to run between 1300 and 2500. Roughly.
    Its simple math which one "needs" more gears to be happy.

That TFL doesn't find a big difference is obvious, only stomp on the throttle and go isn't like every day use.

Sure it works with less gears, but its no fun.

Best example, I've got a Grand Cherokee at Home with the 5.9 Magnum Engine and the 46RE behind him, that one is fine to drive. The same transmission behind my Cummins is a major issue.

You'll experience it when the new setup arrive at the dealership.

TomBrady, dieselshadow and nukegm like this.
  8. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

I guess they will retire the 68RFE, to my knowledge the HD Ram is the last vehicle in the FCA linup that uses this transmission.
    Every other vehicle switched over to the ZF transmission within the last couple years.
    No? I dont know for sure, would hav to dive into Allpar to find out.

9. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Class 8’s have a much smaller rpm range than we do, at least the last I looked. Rated at around 2000 sure makes for a narrow rpm band.

We could likely benefit from 7 or 8 gears, but I think 10 is ridiculous. Heck even in the 8 speed rental gasser I had this summer wouldn’t ever use 8th in auto mode.. even well above the speed limit and downhill.

Unfortunately people will fall for 10 speeds just like they do V-8’s.

What other vehicles have used the 68RFE?

AH64ID , Dec 15, 2019
    TFucili likes this.
  10. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Sorry i should have said that i meant the whole transmission Family starting with the 545RFE back in the 90th. They are all gone. The 68RFE is the last survivor of it.

My last class 8, a Volvo MY2017 with 13 Liter I6 had a red line at 2300rpm, he was nicely usable between 900 and 2000rpm. Thats not so far away from our cummins but yes it is even narrower and those use more gears. It had a 13 Gear transmission.

AH64ID likes this.
  11. RVTRKN

Hey Ozzy, hows your wintering in Mexico going?

History with the 5.9 CTD and OEM automatic transmissions have been adequate at best. Its the reason I chose the NV5600 and then with the difficult choice of Aisin over the G56 when the Aisin was first introduced in 06 with the 07 MY C&C, which I chose the G56. The Aisin was so good, that they then introduced the Aisin for the HO versions that can withstand the pounding that the HO CTD can produce. So for me, I'd rather stick to the tried and true Aisin over an experimental transmission at best. If a auto was never coupled to the CTD, even at the SO level, your risking a high dollar investment. However, I was wrong with my decision to go with the G56 over the Aisin, so maybe the new 8spd will go as well as the Aisin. But at $80K, I like successfull over experimental.

RVTRKN , Dec 16, 2019
  12. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

Cut a deal on a discounted 2019 and smile as you drive down the highway with 11-13K still in your mallet. However personally I would look for a 3500 Aisin rear air truck.

SnoKing , Dec 16, 2019
  13. NIsaacs

An 8 or 10 speed transmission would be a golden opportunity for Ram to turn down the RPM on the Cummins, more in line with other users of the inline 6.

A win win, in my opinion.

NIsaacs , Dec 16, 2019
  14. RVTRKN

Turn down the RPM, then it'll effect the HP.

RVTRKN , Dec 16, 2019
  15. TFucili

I have read mixed reviews on the latest 10 speed faux Allison. Naturally, the zip around empty grocery getter crowd thinks it's fantastic, but when pulling they seem to hunt a lot, and seldom/never get out of 7th gear. So if I can pull all day in 6th OD, and they pull in 7th direct(?) what did they gain???

Just to be clear, these were comments and reviews I ran across. No direct experience with current GM stuff. They could have 47 speeds, and I wouldn't own one.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    TFucili , Dec 16, 2019
  16. Wiredawg

Hayman,

I'm always about the deal... get a 19 and save $$.

You seem to already have figured out how you want to use the truck for, so I mention this ONLY from perspective of getting the right hoss for the job. Buying a Clydesdale when a quarter horse is all you need is fine. EDIT: If you plan on moderate towing and use a lot as a daily driver, a 2500 is great. And there seems to be more 2500s than any other HD Ram model.

BOTTOM LINE: If a 2500 with 68RFE works for you, get a 19 and either get accessories or put all the $$ in your pocket.

Please share what you get and savings.

Cheers, Ron

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Wiredawg , Dec 16, 2019
    snadamo and TFucili like this.
  17. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

"That TFL doesn't find a big difference is obvious, only stomp on the throttle and go isn't like every day use."

That sure doesn't explain why the much heavier RAM DRW and same size RV with the lowly 6 speed didn't get stomped by the much lighter 10 speed GM towing up the IKE.

From all the hype the GM 10 speed should have eaten the RAM 6 speed.

I tow heavier than most, when going thru the gears I drop about 300 rpm. I am always in my power band. I simply don't think it's going to make as much of a difference as it SURE did going from the 4 speed to current 6 speed.

Solo I run TH all the time and I am always in my power band. If I wanted better mileage I would turn off TH.

Cummins12V98 , Dec 16, 2019
  18. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Perfect, just perfect. It's nice and warm down here at the Baja. Also life is cheap, that's even better *. Looking forward to Christmas under palm trees with a margarita in hand on the beach.

Ah good place to stay for the winter, together with virtually thousands of Americans. :D

*for the month of November we spent just around 500$ for two persons, food, drinks incl. Alcohol and Campsite for 33 days. Life is good.

Ozymandias , Dec 16, 2019
    R.Taylor, RVTRKN, Wiredawg and 2 others like this.