Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RVTRKN

What a way to start off on New Year’s Eve, lucky for me, my scheduled job this morning canceled and I took the day off. I went to go to the car wash. I hit the remote start and it acted weird, seeing I’ve had odd issues with the remote a couple of times. I marked both remotes so if I were to have the same issue I could see what remote it was. So this morning it seemed to do it again with remote # 2. I went ahead and got in it to start by the start button, and this is what I saw. Sorry I couldn’t get the video to load. Just know my dash went nuts and even my windshield wipers were even running real slow. I had to remove the negative battery posts to get it to stop. I noticed my shifter seemed to be in a odd position, it turned out I had left it in the “N” position and I shut it off. The battery drained to 5.5 VDC and I attempted to jump it off with my battery jump pack, but the grid heaters was to much. I’m currently charging the batteries now while I install my new weather tech mud flaps. Hopefully no damage to my ECM or other electronics. Just know low batt will cause weird operation of the electronics. I’ll try to post the video later.

RVTRKN , Dec 31, 2019
  2. Randomrunner12

I'd think if this was the first time this has happened you'll be fine on the ECM.

I went through 3 in my ol 7.3 and it turned out when the dealership was installing them one of the mount holes was messed up so it wasn't allowing the ECM to sit flush and was rattling causing the failures within 6 months of each other. After that if the starter solenoid went out the dash quit working and the trans stopped shifting correct. Got rid of that thing asap after that electrical gremlin.

Randomrunner12 , Dec 31, 2019
  3. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Did you try jump the grid heater cycle by double press the start button?

To my knowledge that shouldn't harm the electronics at all because it can always happen. Would be weird if that kills it

Ozymandias , Dec 31, 2019
  4. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Bummer!

My truck won’t let me shut it off in N.

AH64ID , Dec 31, 2019
  5. HPSimpson TDR MEMBER

Say that's pretty good my truck does not allow shutdown only in PARK! So you turn off in neutral and all night truck went thru both batteries good to know, Thanks!

HPSimpson , Dec 31, 2019
  6. TRAMPLINEMAN TDR MEMBER

I shut my truck off and start it in neutral every day.

TRAMPLINEMAN , Dec 31, 2019
  7. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Key or push button?

AH64ID , Dec 31, 2019
  8. RVTRKN

Update, I got the truck to start after charging the batts to 12.24VDC, and then helped it with my jump starter fully recharged as well at 13.5VDC. No issues that I can detect, ran it 30+miles. Perfect timing because the truck went into regen, so the milage helped both. The odd thing is, no CEL, my 07 would have been on for two key cycles, unless I cleared it with my PLX system. When I tried it with just the jumper and low batts, I heard some loud noises behind the dash. One of the noises sounded like a direct high amperage electrical short. One of the new dash's negative is the Voltmeter is in the LCD screen option, not in front of your face. So I couldn't see voltage with extremely low levels. I did notice upon startup after I had it fully charged and running, with the Voltage meter in the display, it took 20 +/- seconds to start increasing the voltage through the regulator like my 07 did after starting. And yes, I can shut it off in "N", tried it after reading some can't, I have to get used to an Auto transmission.

RVTRKN , Dec 31, 2019
  9. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

The old one can be shut down in ANY position of the shift lever, not only in N.
    But - it was only possible to pull the key out of ignition in P.
    Logically with KLG it is possible to get out of the vehicle without putting it in P.

The interesting here is that it doesn't shut down the Systems after around 15 min. without any input from the driver.
    Maybe your ignition stayed on all night long?

Ozymandias , Dec 31, 2019
  10. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

How many extra hours on the trip meter?

AH64ID , Dec 31, 2019
  11. RVTRKN

Don't keep track of it, but I'll look and post the run times tomorrow.

RVTRKN , Dec 31, 2019
  12. RVTRKN

Actually it was 48hrs+

RVTRKN , Dec 31, 2019
    AH64ID likes this.
  13. RVTRKN

37 idle / 98 drive

RVTRKN , Dec 31, 2019
  14. TRAMPLINEMAN TDR MEMBER

Key, with a clutch!

TRAMPLINEMAN , Dec 31, 2019
    Randomrunner12 and AH64ID like this.
  15. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Ouch. Guess the ECM counts idle hours even if your not at idle.

I just recently hit 39 idle hours, but I almost 400 drive hours.

AH64ID , Dec 31, 2019
  16. gsbrockman

I was always under the impression that idle hours were calculated when there was engine rpm above zero and mph = zero.....

gsbrockman , Dec 31, 2019
  17. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Me too. I was thinking his idle time jumped up from this incident thou.

I guess RV could just idle a LOT. Maybe he can fill us in.

40% idle time is pretty high.

AH64ID , Dec 31, 2019
  18. gsbrockman

My idle percentage is higher than that.....but I sure do have an envious average miles per hour. :D
    6F46490B-529A-45CD-82BB-500972E5A632.jpeg #ad

dieselshadow and AH64ID like this.
  19. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Well played Sir, well played.

AH64ID , Dec 31, 2019
  20. gsbrockman

Fact is......my Tradesman EVIC resets the drive hours [like clockwork :D] EVERY 1,092 hours.

When that picture was taken.....I was really at 3,277 drive hours. Idle time has not hiccuped....yet.

AH64ID likes this.