Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KEN BARNES

Has anyone replaced the turbo oil return line with a ptfe line?

KEN BARNES , Feb 24, 2022
  2. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

What’s max temp on it?

And, by the way, no need for double posts.

BigPapa , Feb 24, 2022
  3. KEN BARNES

To BigPapa: sorry for the double post. This is new to me & don't have a clue. I'm replacing turbo on 2015 3500. Failed at 27000 miles. My question concerns the oil return line and the difficulty of replacing it. My thought is to fabricate JIC/AN fittings for the turbo end and replace the end going into the block with better insert that would have male threads to attach a flexible line to. So my question is has anyone attempted this and if yes what type of hose was used?
    thanks

KEN BARNES , Feb 27, 2022
  4. Signal73

Return line is rarely an issue, why do you want to replace it?

Signal73 , Feb 27, 2022
  5. KEN BARNES

Have you ever replaced one? If you have then you know why I'm looking for an alternative. There has to be a better idea out there someplace.

KEN BARNES , Feb 27, 2022
  6. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Big question mark here, I did and it is straight forward. Push it into the block, bolt it to the turbo, bend it into a nice shape - finished. Couldn't be more simple than this pipe.

Ozymandias , Feb 27, 2022
    BigPapa likes this.
  7. Signal73

Yes, without issue. I’ve also made modified ones for twin turbo setups on previous trucks of mine. With yours At 27k that’s gotta be in pretty good shape too still, no?

Signal73 , Feb 27, 2022
  8. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

What’s causing you the issue? Your “fix” seems much more complicated than the stock setup. No alternative needed.

AH64ID , Feb 27, 2022
  9. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Yes, I’ve replaced one. As Ozy said, pretty straightforward. The tube is flexible. Much better than the rigid pipe and hose on the older engines.

The oil coming out of a turbo can be extremely hot. I’d be worried it could melt the tubing your talking about. Now, THAT would be a mess….

AC5EAB7D-D8F9-42FC-B635-96DE52962FB2.jpeg #ad

BigPapa , Feb 27, 2022
    Topzide and Ozymandias like this.