Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brooks10

Good evening gentlemen! I purchased a 2018 Ram 6.7 Cummins October of last year and it runs like a champ. First Cummins and I’ve been very impressed so far! It’s tuned and deleted with a straight pipe. I recently noticed some “rattling” coming from under the truck. Not sure if it’s from all the vibration from the straight pipe or what but it only occurs around 1100-1200 rpm usually when I’m taking it slow. Not sure what it is and I’m having a hard time locating it, but I’m getting annoyed with it. Anyone have any experience with this?

D3FD5A71-06C3-45AF-AB47-A3F8CD0721D8.jpeg #ad

Brooks10 , Sep 13, 2020
  2. Wiredawg

Rattles can be tough to trace. Take the truck out , windows down with someone and have them sit pax front, pax RR, pax LR and see if you can isolate where its coming from. If you can narrow to a side or quadrant, then you can crawl under it and investigate. I had a 4x4 Toyota that I actually put it up on jackstands all the way around und the axles, had a friend start it, run it up to speed and found noise was from driveshaft carrier bearing. Not say thats what it is, just it can be tough finding it.

Please let us knpow what you find.

Cheers, Ron

Wiredawg , Sep 13, 2020
    HPSimpson and dieselshadow like this.
  3. Brooks10

Thanks Ron! I’ll look into it!

Brooks10 , Sep 13, 2020
  4. dieselshadow

I had a noise similar and I could’ve sworn it was coming from the driver’s side front wheel. Couldn’t find it. It took me putting the truck up on jack stands and using the screwdriver method to find it. It was the rear differential U-joint. It felt fine under normal inspection, but it was bad. Replaced it and I was good to go. Finding it was a 3 month ordeal. It took me putting it up on jack stands and running it to find it. It was a last ditch effort. I don’t recommend this method unless all else fails because of the obvious dangers involved of a running vehicle and you crawling around under it.

They do make a remote microphone kit. You strap on (magnets?) these microphones and change the channel on the receiver. You listen to find the louder noise. Rearranging the mics and listen again until you can narrow down the issue. It seems a lot safer. I’ve never tried it and don’t own a setup like that. But if I did that for a living, you darn tootin’ I would.

Good luck sir.

dieselshadow , Sep 13, 2020
    Wiredawg likes this.
  5. gtwitch

I purchased my MY 16 2500 with 23k miles a year ago and the previous owner purchased it Feb 2017, from Day 1 that I got the truck, I have had a shudder/vibration at 1100 rpm in any gear including Reverse always at 1100. I have had it into the dealer here in Laramie WY 3 times, with no resolve , the only response I have gotten is "that is norma"l, but as you might expect that shudder in 1st gear (might be 2nd gear) is right at 30 mph and that is where it is in local traffic driving around the city. I have also followed the updates to RAM trucks and last year in TDR, RAM/ FCA changed both the flex plate and torque converter in the 2500 and 3500 with the 68RFE transmissions (mine has that trans). With My years of mechanicing and troubleshooting this is where this shudder is coming from. I have driven other MY 16, 17 ,18, and not there as pronounced as in my MY16, some not there at all and others the shudder is much lighter to varying degrees.
    gtwitch in wyoming

gtwitch , Sep 13, 2020
    AHutson and Wiredawg like this.
  6. Randomrunner12

Try letting someone idle your truck up to 11-1200 Rpms where your hearing it and then put your foot on the tailpipe. Mine was because the 5" is too big in some areas so I had to adjust the brackets so that they would stop tapping each other. Also had to remove the heat shield from the spare and strap it back towards the rear driver bumper corner to clear the hangers and the bigger diff cover. Rattle has sense gone away.

Randomrunner12 , Sep 14, 2020
  7. Brooks10

Checked into the tailpipe for the rattling noise and that was definitely it and I’ll be fixing it this weekend. Thanks for your help!

Brooks10 , Sep 18, 2020
  8. Randomrunner12

Glad I could help, I've noticed these bigger piped tend to move around more and from time to time need to have the hangers adjusted. I've gone as far as undoing them all and putting 2" long fuel hose on them just in case they start to rattle the frame it won't be as bad.

Randomrunner12 , Sep 18, 2020
  9. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

Hope you got the delete parts in the purchase. Hang on to them. BIL threw away the delete part he got in a purchase(even when I advised him to hang onto them) and then moved to Arizona. Arizona would not license the deleted truck. They had to become SD residents to license it, going there to do it.

SnoKing , Sep 18, 2020
    Ozymandias and Rob S like this.