1. Stacy TDR MEMBER

We have owned this truck for about a year and continue (off and on) to get an error message on the dash that reads "Service Air Suspension". Although we hear the compressor working (at times) when we activate the switch it operates differently than our 2020 RAM with the auto leveling features so we aren't convinced it's working properly. Generally, this occurs when traveling with a trailer, a ding will occur from the dash, the error message will appear, then seconds later it will disappear and everything appears normal.

We have tried to pull codes on several occasions once we get the messages and no codes have been thrown.

Has anyone experienced the same issue, and if so, any suggestions to eliminate the issue?

Thanks!

Stacy , Sep 23, 2023
  2. Diesel85 TDR MEMBER

You will need a higher end scanner to read the codes and perform system tests.

Diesel85 , Sep 23, 2023
  3. Stacy TDR MEMBER

Thanks for the feedback. Initially we did use our code reader to scan the truck which certainly isn't high end, however when it was in the shop several weeks ago for unrelated work we asked the mechanic to scan for the air suspension issue with his new Snap-On scanner and nothing was found with it either unfortunately.

Stacy , Sep 23, 2023
  4. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Get yourself AlfaOBD so you can do it on the Spot.
    These glitches can clear themselves very fast out of the memory.
    If it happens again, do not shut down the engine, let it run und plug in Alfa to check for active or stored codes right away.

Ozymandias , Sep 23, 2023
    Topzide likes this.
  5. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I would disconnect, clean, and add dielectric grease to the ride height sensors.

What are the differences between your 18 and 20?

AH64ID , Sep 25, 2023
  6. Stacy TDR MEMBER

Sorry for the delayed response. My 2020 has the Auto Level Rear Air Suspension and it just appears to have a few more bells and whistles then the 2018. I use it for lowering the truck bed when connecting some of my trailers rather than lifting the front of the trailer up as an example. Anyway, we will definitely try the cleaning protocols you suggested above and report back. Thanks!!

Stacy , Sep 29, 2023
  7. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Yes there are subtle differences. The 19+ trucks have bed lowering mode, which works ok on a 3500 without weight in the bed.

Also my 2022 won't stay in alternate ride height if I remove the weight, where the 2018 would retain the setting even thou it can't ride at that height without any weight in the bed.

AH64ID , Sep 29, 2023