Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amspipe84

I can’t find my heater plug .Is it an optional feature?

amspipe84 , Nov 19, 2022
  2. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

If the electrical cable is not there, that is all you have to buy. The element is in the block on the passengers side under/behind the turbo. It electrical cord if there will be below the overflow bottle/passenger headlight area.

SnoKing , Nov 19, 2022
  3. amspipe84

Thanks, as you know,it’s crowded in there! That helps a lot ,thanks

amspipe84 , Nov 19, 2022
  4. NIsaacs

5. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

The link NIsaacs posted has a good picture of the heater location looking at the block behind the oil filter. If the cable is attached, follow it to the plug end.

SnoKing , Nov 20, 2022
  6. Topzide TDR MEMBER

I got the bumper mount from Genos and love the access it offers! Made a cover for passengers side mirror with a loop to run extension cord through as reminder that I'm plugged in! Thinking of making another cover for drivers side to not have frost to deal with while waiting for it to melt! Sometimes you need to go quick and don't have time for a full defrost!

Topzide , Nov 20, 2022
  7. amspipe84

Thanks for the replies.

amspipe84 , Nov 20, 2022
  8. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

Let us know what you find!

SnoKing , Nov 20, 2022
  9. bcbender TDR MEMBER

Without knowing what year model its difficult to advise, but I know on my 04 the cord was clipped up hanging by the pass battery, I relocated it to a zip tie on the front tow hook for convivence. My 2020 did not have one so I got the OEM cord and routed it to the OEM location inside the front bumper intercooler air inlet. As has been said, look at / near the oil filter for the heater, if the cord is there it'll look like a lamp cord and be heading over and down the RH frame rail.

Good luck

bcbender , Nov 20, 2022
  10. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

At what Temps and durations are folks using these.

It's not super cold here yet, lowest has been 20's.

I did not have plans of using mine, but my thinking was maybe a timer like an hour before if I knew it was going to help.

So far lots of heat very quickly, shoot for 3-5 min warm up and drive.

Not to turn this into an oil type thread either, just no hands on for me on these.

The 96 has it as they all do but never drove it in the Winter months.

Timd32 , Nov 20, 2022
  11. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

When I was daily driving my 05 I would use a timer set for 90 minutes before I left. It was the peak of the cost:benefit.

I’ve only used the ‘22 on the generator when hunting. Not sure I’ll use it much as I don’t daily drive it.

AH64ID , Nov 20, 2022
  12. bcbender TDR MEMBER

I set a timer for 90 min same as John, I did a study on the temp rise vs. time and 90 is the max... 60 is pretty much almost there also, I dont use it unless its gonna be less than 30 and that is simply so I dont have to let it idle to warm up and waste fuel / idle hours :rolleyes:

bcbender , Nov 20, 2022
  13. Topzide TDR MEMBER

You guys need to get a WIFI smart outdoor plug setup. That way you can plug in and have it come on when below temp and for set amount of time. If you're not going to drive it, leave setting off and turn on when you'll need it. I've got mine to come on about time the DW leaves for work. That way it's ready to hookup to trailer and become the rescue tow! ;)

Topzide , Nov 20, 2022