Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBob Diesel

Don't mean to sound ignorant, but what is the advantage of a solid front axle vs IFS? My truck is mainly used for towing and not much off roading. Thanks.

JBob Diesel , Sep 26, 2016
  2. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

Comes with a big C on the side if you order the right one with solid front axle.

SnoKing , Sep 26, 2016
  3. Beast2B

way fewer moving parts in solid axle. solid axle is relatively simple in comparison. solid front axle is easier and cheaper to lift. IFS has better handling capabilities due to much more adjustability of caster, camber and toe as well as more control through the travel of the wheel on suspension cycling.

Beast2B , Sep 27, 2016
  4. Deleted member 995608

Both solid axle and independent front ends have their own pitfalls. I'll take the solid axle version any day of the week. Far less moving parts, less expensive to repair and more robust. Aftermarket companies make solid front axle conversions for IFS trucks; that in itself says a lot.

Deleted member 995608 , Sep 27, 2016
  5. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

I have seen a couple GM's sitting along the highway with one tire pontoon to the side kinda like Marty Feldman's eye!

Cummins12V98 , Sep 27, 2016
  6. Bug Out TDR MEMBER

Thanks for my morning laugh !!!

Bug Out , Sep 27, 2016
  7. Newsa

I've always thought the solid front axle more durable and better traction

Newsa , Sep 27, 2016
  8. RVTRKN

Turning with 4 wheel engaged on a solid front axle give an odd feedback. It's almost like the u-joint can't flex enough. Other than that I prefer a HD solid front axle. My Tacoma's IFS is a lot smoother, but it is 1/4 ton truck in reality, so no need for such a HD frontend.

RVTRKN , Sep 27, 2016
  9. Newsa

Just one question. Is the front axle/differential fully locked up in both 4x4 high and 4x4 low? That means the wheels turn at the same speed? When is the front axle/differential fully locked?

Newsa , Nov 3, 2017
  10. AEdelheit TDR MEMBER

The front differential doesnt lock unless you have an aftermarket locker or Power Wagon and manually lock them but one of the front tires will still be turning the same speed as a rear tire.

I dont think Solid axles bind any more then IFS in 4wd but the lighter the vehicle and smaller wheelbase make the bind less noticeable in smaller vehicles and I know some Toyotas like my Sequoia has a locking transfer case so it can be in 4wd and still allow slip between the front and rear which reduces binding until I hit the center diff lock button.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    AEdelheit , Nov 3, 2017
  11. Flash1034

Solid axles articulate off-road much better than IFS suspensions too.

Flash1034 , Nov 4, 2017