Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alphonse

I have read where folks are taking their wheel well liner out to get to the oil filter to change it out. Here is a photo of my 2016 model 2500 and it appears the cutout in the wheel well liner provides adequate access to the oil filter for removal. Is this a new feature for the 2016 model year or do other years have this same layout as well? (Sorry for the rotated image!) Oil filter access.jpg #ad

Oil filter access.jpg #ad

Alphonse , Oct 28, 2015
  2. kthaxton TDR MEMBER

It's the same (for '15 anyway, probably back to at least '13). Some people are just inept. :)

kthaxton , Oct 28, 2015
  3. mpaulson

Same on 14.

mpaulson , Oct 29, 2015
  4. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

I am going to use Ron's attack from the top method! Always changed my 2001.5 by removing the air box th turbo hose, this will just take a couple minutes longer. i have a strap wrench which works well from the top.

BTW the wheel liner is not the issue, it is the hoses and clearance between them. And the filter has to be turned on its side. I never lost a drop of oil doing the old truck from the top.

https://www.turbodieselregister.com...7-2013-and-up-oil-change?highlight=oil+filter

Snoking

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    SnoKing , Oct 29, 2015
  5. DonFitzwater

From the top IS the only way to go. Huge mess potential going through the fender well.

DonFitzwater , Oct 29, 2015
  6. Ram4Sam TDR MEMBER

Out the top worked fine for me the one time I did my 2014, but I have to say, while crawling around/under my 2016, the lines around the oil filter look like they are routed/bent a little differently than my 2014.......not sure though.

Sam

Ram4Sam , Oct 29, 2015
  7. kthaxton TDR MEMBER

Except for the other way.

kthaxton , Oct 29, 2015
  8. mwilson TDR MEMBER

I always remove the intake duct work while changing oil from above on my trucks. That allows me to check the turbo for play and see if there are any dust tracks in the duct. PLUS not spill any nasty old oil.....If I bought a fourth gen I would continue to do so.

Not because I am inept.:D, at least in my opinion....other opinions may differ.....

mwilson , Oct 29, 2015
  9. Ram4Sam TDR MEMBER

Prove it!!!!!:D:-laf

Sam

Ram4Sam , Oct 29, 2015