Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C. Harlan

Good morning, just wanted to share my experience with the Geno’s/ Spyntec free spin hub install for a 2014 3500 DRW.. While the kit is great, the instructions from Spyntec are absolute garbage.. They were basically written for a SRW and thrown together in a not so great manner. For anyone looking to take on this project at home, additional parts will be needed, such as a 20 ton press, a 1 5/16” or 33 mm socket to remove the factory spindle nut (not the 1 11/16” nut that instructions call for), and also two different sized pry bars. When setting the locking hub onto the new shaft, one will need to get pry bar behind the axle shaft to bring it out enough to get lock ring onto shaft as well. The instructions included online and with kit also do not mention to get old spindle out, you’ll need to use top front spindle bolt, leave socket with extension on and press against hard part of suspension piece and utilize power steering of truck to break spindle loose. It was a lot of trial and error, due to lack of instructions, but managed to get it done in about 12-13 hours time.

C. Harlan , Mar 6, 2023
    NIsaacs likes this.
  2. Topzide TDR MEMBER

That's been the way to get the front spindles out for awhile. Used that method when I replace front u-joints and was kicking around getting the Spyntec hubs. Went with standard hub setup replacement and greasable u-joints. I hope you replaced the u-joints while you were there! I wish I'd known of the bolt trick on my '01 gasser! Next time if there is one since last set only has a few thousand on the clock and truck is backup/plow truck. Once you get sometime on the clock with them, fill us in in difference and any fuel mileage increase if it's even noticeable! Why was a 20t press needed? I know there was the socket size difference. I have both sizes due to smaller on the 1500 and larger was in a 3/4 drive set I own. You should have posted up about your game plan and could've avoided a lot of the pitfalls you encountered. Hope that they will serve you well!

Topzide , Mar 6, 2023
  3. C. Harlan

So the press was needed to press the rotor apart from the hub assembly.. I thought my good Ol’ sledgehammer would do the trick, but didn’t even do a thing! As far as the game plan, we had a cooler full of beer, a shop full of tools, and good music to help with everything! It was mid 70’s and sunny, so couldn’t have asked for a better day!

C. Harlan , Mar 6, 2023
    BigUglyRacing and Topzide like this.