Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SSchang

Seems like I had this recall on my 2020 Ram. Can't believe they haven't figured it out yet! Yes, my 2022 is part of the recall.

Recall date November 10, 2022
    FCA Recall ZA3
    NHTSA Recall 22V-835
    Recall Status Incomplete but repair parts are not available

Some 2020-2022 MY Ram 3500 trucks equipped with the Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel engine and 68RFE transmission ("68RFE") may experience transmission fluid expelling from the dipstick tube, which may come into contact with an ignition source within the engine compartment. In certain circumstances, a build up of pressure and heat inside the transmission may result in transmission fluid being expelled from the dipstick tube, which may come in contact with ignition sources within the engine compartment and lead to a vehicle fire.

SSchang , Nov 17, 2022
    NIsaacs likes this.
  2. NIsaacs

About 200k 2500's and 48k 3500's so mine is included.

I would guess the fluid level is too high for the size of the pan. That maybe some were slightly overfull from the factory or from a service. I recommend a larger oil pan with a remarked dip stick and a drain plug...

I have been considering one in preparation of my first transmission service. Maybe the recall timing will fit into my first service so I will wait to see what the fix is.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2022/ram-transmission-problems-fires-recall.shtml

NIsaacs , Nov 18, 2022
  3. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

Are old 12V RAMs looking better by the day. Dealers across all brands are holding some vehicle hostage for lack of parts to fix them. Warning owners of some vehicles to park them outside and not in a garage. Modern vehicles are a marvel of niceness until the day they are not!

SnoKing , Nov 18, 2022
    JackFate likes this.
  4. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

1604EC93-DC4E-45FE-9E88-8B5A125F9E53.jpeg #ad

Cummins12V98 , Nov 18, 2022
  5. Andy_dirt

Andy_dirt , Nov 18, 2022
  6. JPM TDR MEMBER

So what is the solution?

7. SSchang

The recall says they don't have a fix yet, but owners will be contacted early December about the recall. I don't understand this, it's the same recall I had completed on my 2020 a couple years ago. The fix was to pull the transmission pan and valve body, install a different valve body separator plate, and put it back together. I don't understand why this is different and they don't have a fix??

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    SSchang , Nov 19, 2022
  8. NIsaacs

Received my recall notice on this. The fix is a new dipstick and breather hose. I assume parts may not be available yet.

NIsaacs , Jan 13, 2023
  9. Dasmoeturhead

Yesterday I had the tailgate recall done in my 21, and got on the list for the Trans dipstick recall. Service said no parts yet. I think if there was a problem with my truck it would have already reared its ugly head whe towing my 5ver in the summer heat on grades. I ain't worried at all. Getting sick of all the recalls though. Still the best truck I've ever owned. I absolutely love this pickup. Paid it off in June 2022, and finally went down to the DMV and got my title.

Dasmoeturhead , Jan 13, 2023
    Ozymandias and Rob S like this.
  10. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

The fix is a shorter locking dipstick. You won’t be able to check your fluid level anymore as the dealerships have been instructed to keep your OE dipstick.

I’d advise that you “lose” your OE dipstick and seal the tube with a piece of latex and a zip tie on your way to get fixed, unless you want to pay service centers to check your fluid level after the recall.

AH64ID , Jan 13, 2023
  11. C M McCormick TDR MEMBER

C M McCormick , Jan 13, 2023
  12. Axel

Got mine fixed January 6th. ( yes new dipstick and breather hose) I booked the service just before x-mas and they got the parts in under 2 weeks.
    My clock spring is however on backorder ( warranty) and the seatbelt retractor is on order. Should be in 2 weeks or so.

Axel , Jan 13, 2023
  13. 06 Dodge

So your saying if you don't keep the old one you will have to pay the dealer or some shop to check your ATF fluid level for you? How in the heck can they get way with that BS?

06 Dodge , Jan 13, 2023
  14. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

That is exactly what I understand from the recall info.

It’s BS to some, but realistically most owners don’t check their own fluids anyways. I still don’t agree with it thou.

AH64ID , Jan 14, 2023
  15. NIsaacs

Have you looked to see what the new dipstick consists of? If you can't check the fluid with it, it must be just a locking cap, like a fuel cap. Both my seat belt retractors for the front are not working so I will have that checked with the recall.

This guy claims his '12 dipstick is too long and wore a hole in his pan.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads/transmission-dip-stick-too-long.2576360/

NIsaacs , Jan 14, 2023
  16. Dasmoeturhead

Since this is the last pickup I'll probably own, I think I'll just skip this recall. Some idiot probably didnt push the dip stick in far enough or left it out and fluid escaped, and now Ram is covering there ass. Cant fix stupid.

Dasmoeturhead , Jan 14, 2023
    Ozymandias, 06 Dodge and TomBrady like this.
  17. TRAMPLINEMAN TDR MEMBER

They could easily use this style dipstick.
    218B717F-7350-4B31-B93F-66E275B2680B.png #ad

TRAMPLINEMAN , Jan 14, 2023
  18. Dasmoeturhead

Are you still able to check your trans fluid?

Dasmoeturhead , Jan 16, 2023
    Rob S likes this.
  19. NIsaacs

This was posted on another forum. Can't tell if the dip stick is long enough to still check the fluid level. The oem vent appears to be worthless v/s the improved version. Even so, you would think they would plumb the vent clear to the top of the transmission.

62016.jpeg #ad
    62017.jpeg #ad

NIsaacs , Jan 16, 2023
    06 Dodge likes this.
  20. Axel

I have not checked yet. I will c heck tomorrow and post.

Axel , Jan 16, 2023