Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turbo Terry

So loading my 3000 lbs slide in truck camper tomorrow So I aired up my Firestone TransForce 18 stock tires to 80 lbs . I’m hauling 5580 front and 5720 rear over the scales front gen basket everything so 11300 total regular cab long box srw . Last year I think I ran 60 psi front and I know 80 psi rear . I did a lot of miles last summer new truck no issues what do you think I should be running for this load ? I would like your thoughts on this thanks. Tire wear is same front and rear rotated once.15k plus miles now

Turbo Terry , Jun 3, 2023
  2. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
    AH64ID , Jun 3, 2023
    Ozymandias likes this.
  3. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

deleted!!!!

SnoKing , Jun 3, 2023
  4. Turbo Terry

Interesting charts John Thanks I have been studying them. 60-65 lbs should be about right? And SnoKing what does delete mean. Are you having a bad day or what ?

Turbo Terry , Jun 4, 2023
  5. slowmover

http://www.barrystiretech.com/inflationpressure.html

Test via “Tire Pressure Buildup” as above.

1). Measure cold, overnight before sun hits tires.

2). Use CAT Scale per axle and correct per table for minimum. (4-corner means correct to heaviest tire per axle).

3). 1.5-hrs steady state at expected travel speed per load, any road. Least brake use into a rest area stop.

4). 5-7% pressure rise OK. Near 10%, need to bump a 121-Load Index tire by 5-psi. Find minimum.

See other info about altitude & ambient temps.

One wants the tire pressure range per a given load.
    The reasonable lowest to highest. Record and save to notes kept in glove box (scale tickets).

My Steer Axle stays from 12,200 to 12,600-lbs with most any load. 100-psi is company. 105-psi my choice. Many fleets specify 110-psi. My travel speed range is consistent from Interstate to US Highways.

We cover a range of from 700’ altitude to 7,000-ft.
    A winter run with a major altitude change means keep a closer eye on it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    slowmover , Jun 4, 2023
  6. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

Made a post and then deleted what I said. I had thought your truck was a dually!

SnoKing , Jun 4, 2023
  7. Turbo Terry

No dually for me in Alaska. Too much snow. Won’t fit in my garage very well also .65f -80 r I think Very curious to see if running my alt ride height helps with my side sway this year .

8. 06 Dodge

My self would start at 70 psi in all 4 and go from their.

06 Dodge , Jun 4, 2023
  9. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Why?

70 psi is more load carrying capacity than the front axle is rated for.

AH64ID , Jun 4, 2023
    Ozymandias likes this.
  10. 06 Dodge

I'm still in the 2006 2500 mind set where I had better tire wear at 70 psi in all 4, guess I should of added YMMV.

06 Dodge , Jun 4, 2023
  11. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

The stock 18’s on Terrys truck will hold the same load at 65 psi that the stock tires on your 06 hold at 80.

My 05 didn’t have better wear overinflated, they had the best wear at the pressure for the load.

AH64ID , Jun 4, 2023
    Ozymandias likes this.
  12. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Also you have a smoother ride, a safer ride, better handling and so one.
    I really dont get the point why people nowadays insist on over-inflating their tires.
    In the older days it was exactly the opposite, nobody wanted to drive around on ball-bearings, now - totally in fashion.

Both extremes are wrong, pressure according to the load is what counts and what gives all the benefits mentioned above.

Ozymandias , Jun 4, 2023
    TomBrady and AH64ID like this.
  13. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

Problem is many tire shops, and Costco in particular insist on inflating tires leaving their shops at inflation for max axle load according the door jamb sticker.

SnoKing , Jun 4, 2023
    Ozymandias likes this.
  14. Turbo Terry

Ok I put 80 lbs in all four tires easier to let a bit out then put it in .Loaded camper and went for a drive. I think 65 maybe 70 lbs is perfect for the front. I have a front basket 7 gallons gas and Honda 2000 gen front hitch and basket 2 inch receiver all weighing most of 200 lbs sticking 36 inches out the front. It works very well bounced it all down the alaska highway last year no issues. 65 front 80 rear . My truck is heavier in the front by a bit until I put about 200 lbs trailer tongue weight on it. My front and rear loads are balanced hauling a 3000 camper pretty nice going down the road.

15. Turbo Terry

But nowfor the really good news. Last fall sometime around when I was ready to take the camper off for winter I made a post about side sway on corners . It was suggest by John I think that when heavy loaded that I drive with truck on alt mode to decrease the side sway. I was seriously thinking about buying a rear sway bar. Well today I drove it in alt mode and the side sway is really not there at all it seems to help a bunch. Very much better. No sway bar needed. I’m very happy about it. This truck is just awesome to drive down the road. Lots of power stops great. I love my truck

16. JPM TDR MEMBER

the max load at 80psi is on the sidewalls, weigh your rig and go from there, I think you will see, you will 80 psi in the rear at least for some margin, I run 100psi ( 19.5" tires) with my rig and a small loaded trailer