Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trbtrck2014

For about the past 2 years. i am getting an intermittent problem where all of a sudden i lose all throttle input, the engine code error points to the electronic throttle. we have done live scans on the accelerator pedal output and it does jump around when the problem is present but is normal when the power to the truck is normal. Sometimes the problem will happen ever mile or even less and sometimes i can drive thousands of miles without a problem, it is not weather dependent Sometimes to recover the throttle i can work the accelerator pedal and it catches but a lot of time i have to pull over and stop though i do not need to turn the truck off, i can simply apply throttle and all is normal and the truck pulls away like normal, so no shutting the truck off causing a reset or anything. I have had it to the dealer numerous times and they have replaced the accelerator pedal twice and have gone through all the wiring and connectors, neither of these efforts solved the problem, The dealer now wants to replace the ECU (computer) but they are not sure that this will solve the problem and it is quite expensive to try this The only other problem i have is i get an intermittent brake signal connection to my trailer whether i use the bumper or in bed 7 way plug, the two do not seem to be related though i have thought that a loose ground common to the two systems could be a cause. If anyone else has had this problem and better yet solved it please comment, all help is appreciated, i am wondering does pressing the brake pedal zero out the throttle signal, i am wondering if an intermittent brake switch or something in that circuit is part of the problem. Thank you in advance

trbtrck2014 , Jun 5, 2023
  2. sag2 TDR MEMBER

Highly unlikely the ECM is the problem. I would ask your dealer if they can set up a flight recorder and get as many data points as possible to see if anything else glitches at the same time. I would look at anything on the 5v circuits, or anything that shares the ground.

sag2 , Jun 5, 2023
    BigPapa likes this.
  3. trbtrck2014

i will ask them, thank you

trbtrck2014 , Jun 5, 2023
  4. Topzide TDR MEMBER

How old are your batteries? This seems to cause many gremlins to appear as they age out. Mine is same year as yours and I found an issue on the trailer connectors. 2 wires were shorted out. Skinned back and soldered the connection back together and sealed with hot melt glue and heat shrink. Grounds should also be checked and cleaned as necessary! It seems that voltage and wiring drive the systems crazy on our trucks! Hope that you'll be able to find the cause before it drives you nuts! :D

Topzide , Jun 6, 2023
  5. trbtrck2014

thank you for the information the batteries are brand new i will check and recheck the wiring carefully

trbtrck2014 , Jun 6, 2023
  6. Lordsman

I've heard the wiring harness behind the drivers side fender well is prone to shorting problems by wires rubbing out, especially if the harness has ever been messed with. I don't know if throttle or ECM wiring runs up through there.
    I used to have dead pedal issues on my 2014 especially when cold out. That turned out to be the FCA. It was not getting proper rail pressure output.
    I dont know if theses issues will help you but,, hate to see the dealer throwing parts at it.
    Hope you get it figured out.

Lordsman , Jun 6, 2023
  7. trbtrck2014

thank you i will check into that what is the FCA?

trbtrck2014 , Jun 6, 2023
  8. Lordsman

Fuel control actuator. It meters the flow if fuel to the CP3 injector pump. Dealer should have checked the rail pressure output at various throttle positions to rule it out.

Lordsman , Jun 7, 2023
  9. Joseph Donnelly

The intermittent nature of the problem suggests a poor connection, as above, either at a harness connection or at the ground. I'd check and clean.

Joseph Donnelly , Jun 7, 2023
  10. trbtrck2014

thank you they did not i will mention this to them

trbtrck2014 , Jun 7, 2023
  11. trbtrck2014

yes i feel and hope that is all it is we have been over everything twice but i will go over again and hopefully find the culprit thank you

trbtrck2014 , Jun 7, 2023