1. Matsterj

Howdy all! I have a new to me 2011 with 147k on the clock. My concern is engine valve adjustment interval. After speaking with two Dodge dealers they tell me no adjustment necessary unless the head had been removed prior. I contacted Cummins and was surprised that this engine isnt the same as what I used to work on in the medium duty Pete’s at my last job where we ran the overhead every 100k on the 6.7. What are the thoughts on valve adjustments for this engine? I have the tools to do this as the dealer quoted me $1200.00 which I feel is robbery. Thanks!

Diesel85 likes this.
  2. Topzide TDR MEMBER

I checked mine around the 150K mark. They were within spec, no adjustment was needed. I think that you should check the gaps without making any adjustments. You may find as many others had told me and others that it wasn't going to be needed.

Diesel85 and Matsterj like this.
  3. Diesel85 TDR MEMBER

Anything before 2019 has solid lifters that need checking at 150k.

2019 and current have hydraulic lifters. No adjustment necessary.

slowmover likes this.
  4. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Not a big deal here as the specs are so wide your almost always within spec.
    Never had an engine before that was so forgiving at the valve settings like this one.
    Also the valves and seats aren't known to wear.
    So, it can be done for peace of mind but technically it isnt a necessity.

Anything out of spec you'd hear first.

Ozymandias , Jul 3, 2024 at 6:24 PM