1. aerialimage

2013 ram 3500 6.7 4x4
    replacing ball joints, drivers axle slid out easy with a plastic shield along for the ride, not sure how ill re install that as its way down tube by seal.
    However passenger Side will not slide out? Do I need to remove the axle disconnect to get this side axle out?
    Im finding nothing by searching as the 13 is the change year for the 3500, also found nothing searching as a 2014. any help will be greatly appreciated IMG_6711.jpeg #ad

Last edited: May 11, 2024
    aerialimage , May 11, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.
  2. TRAMPLINEMAN TDR MEMBER

That plastic piece is part of the axle seal, should probably replace the seal. You shouldn’t have to touch the disconnect for the axle to slide out. I did the ball joints and hubs on my ‘14 a few years ago and did not have to touch the disconnect, the axle slid right out. However, last fall I changed the gears in the diffs and the passenger side axle would not come out. I fought it for a long time, nothing. I ended up pounding it out from the drivers side thru the pumpkin as I already had the front diff pulled out. That’s the only way it worked for me.
    Also, to replace the drivers side axle seal, the carrier has to come out as the seal is put in from the inside.

Last edited: May 11, 2024
    TRAMPLINEMAN , May 11, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.
  3. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

Says to shift it into 4WD prior to removal of the RH axle, or reinstall will be impacted.

Here are some sheets.

Also something on the Axle seals.

Kinda reminds me of the old Dana seals where you have inner and outer seals.

Timd32 , May 11, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.
  4. aerialimage

thank you, Yeah I guess for some reason the seals are stuck to axle shafts and going to come out with shaft. I have the seal tool for second gen, maybe ill get lucky a d it will be same diameter or same tool

aerialimage , May 12, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.
  5. aerialimage

thank you for the great information. I'll be going deeper I guess because the seals are coming out with shafts. To be fair the last time these shafts where out of this truck was nearly 150,000 miles ago.

Diesel85 likes this.
  6. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

To me that looks more like a dust collar then a seal what I see on your driveshaft.

Ozymandias , May 12, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.
  7. TRAMPLINEMAN TDR MEMBER

Yup, it’s connected to the seal when new.

TRAMPLINEMAN , May 12, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.
  8. aerialimage

yeah, so it stuck to the shaft and pulled seal out, same thing is probably happening on rh side
    guess ill be pulling diff apart and installing some seals

Diesel85 likes this.
  9. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

The FSM mentions nothing about mandatory seal replacement, I'd put it back together like it is.
    Don't fix what ain't broken.
    As long as you don't go hard-core wheeling there will be no dirt in there to be kept away from that collar.

Ozymandias , May 12, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.
  10. TRAMPLINEMAN TDR MEMBER

I tried that once, the seal started leaking after a couple miles. It would be a gamble.

TRAMPLINEMAN , May 12, 2024
    Ozymandias and Diesel85 like this.
  11. aerialimage

those parts are definitely not intended to be stuck on shafts though. and there would be no way to reassemble as the seals and plastic dust cup must be installed down in tube before I can slide shafts in.

12. aerialimage

I now have RH side out and looking closer, that flange which is stuck on shaft looks like an inner race of a bearing? ill defiantly need to look over a parts break down to confirm all parts inside tubes. look at these pictures and see if you agree, inner race from bearing? it was not part of that black plastic cup/ dust shield.

IMG_6723.jpeg #ad

IMG_6726.jpeg #ad

IMG_6728.jpeg #ad

Diesel85 likes this.
  13. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

I stand corrected, you are right. Better replace that.

Ozymandias , May 13, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.
  14. TRAMPLINEMAN TDR MEMBER

While you’re there, I would replace the bearing in the actuator housing. If you pull the carrier out, I would have a new crush sleeve and pinion seal on hand also.

TRAMPLINEMAN , May 13, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.
  15. aerialimage

these pages are extremely helpful and appreciated, any chance you know where to find a similar parts diagram for same axle? My searches are not finding anything where I can identify all the parts inside tubes.

aerialimage , May 13, 2024
  16. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Let me know which items you need and I'll post part numbers.

upload_2024-5-13_14-0-59.png #ad

upload_2024-5-13_14-1-52.png #ad

BigPapa , May 13, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.
  17. aerialimage

thank you so much. Is this rh side only? maybe the left side would be simpler to figure out parts as it has much less going on. im having trouble figuring out which parts are actually which.
    looking closer at my parts it seems like this flange that stuck on shafts might not have been an inner race like I first suspected. since it is not shaped like any bearing would have mated. it actually looks like a seal was making contact there. ill search more today for videos of seal replacement or any other related jobs so maybe I can see what parts are sitting where in these tubes. I miss my truck. lol 170k miles and I still love this thing.

aerialimage , May 14, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.
  18. aerialimage

update, Looking at everything I can find online and mostly with all the great help here It seems like this flange might actually be part of the outer axle seal after all. im going to try and confirm with a part in hand but getting much closer now. maybe its part number 9 in diagrams above. possibly this is the correct part
    Axle Drive Shaft Seal - Mopar (05086686AB)

aerialimage , May 14, 2024
    Diesel85 likes this.
  19. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

It's both sides. Maybe this will help.

Right Side
    upload_2024-5-14_11-58-54.png #ad

Left Side
    upload_2024-5-14_11-59-13.png #ad

Last edited: May 14, 2024
    BigPapa , May 14, 2024
  20. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

These numbers may have changed, but this is what's listed on the diagram: