Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhoogkamp

From what I have read it seems from posts that the integrated controller on the 2012 is supposed to be free of previous issues. I would like to hear if others are also having problems with the controllers on 2012 vehicles.

Mine has never worked right since new, but it has gotten worse lately. I run on Heavy -10 and have tried switching to all the settings even electric-hydraulic, but it does not change. I do a hook-up test once the 5ver is on by going in reverse and using the manual slider applying the brakes. This locks up brakes and stops the trailer (also makes sure fifth pin is fully seated and locked. This test always worked fine, but know the full manual application does not lock up the brakes. I have checked that voltage is being sent to the wires and they are coming on partially, but they do not seem to be getting appropriate current.

For additional info 5ver is 2011 and I have pulled drums, checked and adjusted brakes. I also pulled the emergency release and that locks brakes solid.

I want to have this checked by dealer and alert everyone if there are still issues with the 2012, but I will most likely switch to maxbrake. I have been posting and messaging several members looking for best mounting spot ideas and details on wiring so that the EVIC does not get error messages - any and all comments, picture and ideas woulds be appreciated. :)

rhoogkamp , Jun 16, 2013
  2. Wygate

Just put my 12 through its paces have her on Heavy 3 /w a 9000lb TT, will put some smoke down if I go any higher, so yes mine is working great

Wygate , Jun 16, 2013
  3. rhoogkamp

My 5ver is 16,000 lbs and brakes worked great on 2003 with the prodigy, but the 2012 with integrated on 10 is very marginal.

rhoogkamp , Jun 16, 2013
  4. HBarlow

The OEM factory brake controller is never going to provide anything more than marginal trailer braking because it is an inertia-based controller. The truck and trailer will have to be in motion and the truck brakes will have to have to generate negative acceleration (deceleration) to create trailer braking. Same poor design as the old Tekonsha inertia controllers.

HBarlow , Jun 17, 2013
  5. Simplysmn

On my 11 The brake controller worked great Never had any troubles with it what so ever I would say take it back to Dodge and let them change it out and at same time have them show you and maybe even you show them what it's not doing . They Do Work Great and there are ton's of stock truck's still running the stock brake controller and not having troubles . Give Dodge a chance .

Simplysmn , Jun 17, 2013
  6. Slow Six

I know you are on a big soap box about controllers. I have had a Max Brake and loved it. I now have the factory controller in my 2012 and I also like it very well. Yes it is not like the Max Brake but it is light years ahead of any Tekonsha. I pull a Mobile Suites and the factory controller has been flawless, it works very well. So until you have used one and have real world experience with it you should not bash it, a lot of us like them. This is not my first rodeo, I have been towing for 40 plus years in all sorts of conditions and rigs. To the other posters do you have the controller set for the right brake set up on the trailer as this does make a difference. If you suspect a trailer problem could you hook onto another trailer. Sounds like it could be a connection or ground problem and yes possibly a bad controller.

Slow Six , Jun 17, 2013
  7. HBarlow

I have not owned a Gen IV and probably won't but have driven a friend's 2012 with his HitchHiker behind. It stopped the trailer but was completely unimpressive. Anyone who has the most fundamental understanding of the design of an active hydraulic brake line pressure sensing controller and a reactive inertia sensing controller like the OEM Ram would know better than to make the argument you are trying to make. Yes, I'm sure the Ram controller will stop a trailer but it will never compare to a MaxBrake.

HBarlow , Jun 18, 2013
  8. rhoogkamp

Went to dealership today to have them test brake controller - set on 10 it just does apply enough braking force. I have checked magnets (3. 2 - 3. 3 amps to each one, 13. 3 amps total), brakes are new, burnished in and adjusted. I tested the current from the emergency slide on the controller and there was approximately 13 amps at the trailer plug. tried applying brakes on truck while standing still (no inertia switch action) could only get approximately 2 amps draw at trailer plug.

Gave dealer all this information and asked if he would test the controller; they said yes and said they did not need the trailer connected. They hooked to computer and since no codes said everything was good. (routine answer) they called STAR and asked what test could be done. I was told that I should find someone with a 2012 dodge 3500 like mine with the same integrated controllers and hook my trailer up to their truck and see how the brakes worked. If there controller worked better I should let Dodge know (I actually have a printed copy of this stupid response).

I asked if they could disable (turn off) the controller in the computer so that I could replace the brake controller with an aftermarket controller - I was told that this was not legal and there was no way that a dealer could disable the factory installed option.

After reading many other posts I had the impression that many dodge owners had taking their trucks back to the dealer and had this option disable on trucks that had factory installed brake controllers. If you have had this done please let me know and include dealers name and location I am thinking of installing maxbrake. 100_5103 (2).jpg #ad

100_5103 (2).jpg #ad

rhoogkamp , Jul 1, 2013