Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Topzide TDR MEMBER

Hoping that someone has a way. Looking for a way to run some wire through the firewall on the passenger side of my 2014 3500. I haven't looked closely yet, but has anyone found a route through that side? If I could be on driver's side, no issue and would go through clutch plug. Cabling has a preset length to work with. Project involves some gauges that I'm placing on dash top in a pod mount. They consist of EGT, trans pan temp and cooling temp. I know that they're not necessarily needed, but would like to have that reference their instead of toggling thru menus. Thanks for the input.

Topzide , Jun 27, 2022
  2. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Get yourself a edge CTS2 or CTS3 and put it on the a-pillar. Easier to install, easier to see, and uses the reliable OEM sensors.

AH64ID , Jun 27, 2022
  3. Turbo Terry

I think John’s right

Turbo Terry , Jun 28, 2022
    Wiredawg likes this.
  4. Turbo Terry

I like real gauge too Not scrolling thru the truck menu

Turbo Terry , Jun 28, 2022
  5. SSchang

Not sure if it's the same, but on my 2022, there's a plastic hole plug under the passenger carpet. I drilled through that to run a wire for a remote XM antenna at the front edge of my hood.

SSchang , Jun 28, 2022
    Wiredawg likes this.
  6. Topzide TDR MEMBER

@AH64ID, Yes, that would be the easiest thing to do but aren't the readings just an algorithm through the computer and not necessarily the true numbers? This way I'll have a true number within the 3% error. All sensors are easily accessible if replacement will be needed and already have spares sitting on the shelf. Like the quick reference of the gauges. I could do digital setup with App that came with MX+ Bluetooth reader through an Android device without the extra expense on an EDGE device. Plus my A-pillar is already in use with a GPS already. You'd think with the size of our trucks, there would be plenty of space!

Topzide , Jun 29, 2022
  7. Topzide TDR MEMBER

Oh yes, Thanks for the input!

Topzide , Jun 29, 2022
  8. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

They are real numbers, you can even see torque converter output (for sure on the Aisin, not sure on the 68). It’s the same numbers you get on the dash. Oil temp and oil pressure are the only fake gauges I’ve noticed on the dash.

EGT1 is a little more post turbo than a standard post turbo pyro, but for a stock motor it’s plenty and has been predictable in my experience with my 18.

You also get access to the other 4 EGT sensors to monitor regen, active or passive. Plus a host of other info that the ECM monitors.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    AH64ID , Jun 29, 2022
  9. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

EDGE shows real gauges. That's the way to go today.
    It would have been so nice to have such a sophisticated unit for my Gen3 instead of running miles of wire all over the truck.

Ozymandias , Jun 29, 2022
    AH64ID and Wiredawg like this.
  10. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

I am absolutely unfamiliar with a 4th Gen firewall, but I found on the 2nd Gens that you could poke a fish tape or coat hanger through the foam where the heater core tubes come through, get it on top of the HVAC box, and out to the front of the dash very easily.

BigPapa , Jun 29, 2022
    Topzide likes this.
  11. Wiredawg

You might try removing your glove box so you can see and access higher up on the firewall. Haven't seen under the hood on 4.5 gen or whatever they're called, but my 2017 4th Gen has pretty poor access to the pax side firewall with coolant fill/overflow tank there and exhaust turbo there. Anyhoo, if you can maybe take some pics and post.

Wiredawg , Jun 30, 2022
  12. Jim W TDR MEMBER

My younger son has an EDGE CST3 on his 2013.5 truck since 2017 or so. He has had no issue with the Edge. I would highly recommend this on any new 4gen truck and up.

I have gauges on my 2008 truck but if the Edge was out in 2009, I would have probably gone with the Edge. As the Edge monitors more than my three gauges do. The Edge is slightly higher in cost than my three gauges where and the harness that are required to operate them. I spent a little over $300 in 2009 for the total kit, the CS2 cost in 2022 dollars is $365. So, for $65 dollars more you will get more monitoring capability than just the three gauges that I purchased.

Jim W , Jun 30, 2022
  13. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Most likely a CTS2, as the CTS3 didn’t come out until 2020…. unless he has upgraded since then.

AH64ID , Jun 30, 2022