Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juniorsamples

I have a 2017 2500 cummins 4x4. Been getting the p0868 low line pressure code. Seems to happen when towing. I check fluid level and it has been low every time I get the code. Problem is I cannot find any leaks at all. Under side of truck is spotless as far as oil goes. I have checked the transfer case level and it’s fine. Any ideas?
    Thanks.

juniorsamples , Jun 20, 2022
  2. tp0d

possible clogged filter? when was the last service done? and you are checking the transmission dipstick, not the transfer case...? in neutral, on a level surface

tp0d , Jun 20, 2022
  3. juniorsamples

Last service was approximately 30000 miles ago. Yes checking transmission dipstick in neutral sitting in my shop at an idle while transmission is hot. transmission never slips or gives any indication of failure just get code and most of the time is low on fluid. I’ve put approximately 2 1/2 quarts in the transmission over 30 to 35 thousand miles.

juniorsamples , Jun 21, 2022
  4. kthaxton TDR MEMBER

Not helpful to your problem, but just a useful FYI, the 68RFE fluid level can be tested in Park.

kthaxton , Jun 21, 2022
  5. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Any trans fluid in the coolant?

Not only can it be checked in park, but it’s supposed to be checked in park.

AH64ID , Jun 21, 2022
    kthaxton and Jim W like this.
  6. juniorsamples

No transmission fluid in coolant. No matter how i check it, it is low. Manual says check in park dipstick says check in neutral. Both ways get the same results.

7. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Are you checking at the same temp and same vehicle level?

AH64ID , Jun 21, 2022
  8. juniorsamples

yes checking same spot in my shop after towing. Pull in driveway drop trailer pull in shop check fluid. Never turn truck off.

9. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

How many times have you had to add fluid?

Do you check it when you don’t get a code?

Since you’re not seeing any evidence of a leak I’d probably drop pan and inspect everything to make sure you don’t have an issue and the fluid is still in the trans but not flowing correctly.

AH64ID , Jun 22, 2022
  10. bcbender TDR MEMBER

I was going to suggest the same thing, and my brother had a low line pressure issue on his 1500,.. turned out that the aftermarket filter had split the seam and was sometimes sucking air... make sure you replace the filter with the MOPAR one as it has a check valve in it to prevent intermittent positive pressure from cracking the filter housing causing a condition which can lead to low line pressure.

bcbender , Jun 22, 2022
    Wiredawg and AH64ID like this.
  11. juniorsamples

Would a split filter cause fluid level to show 1/2 quart low on dipstick? After first time this happened i did do transmission service and everything looked good inside of trans including filters. I replaced filters with MOPAR filters and MOPAR fluid.

juniorsamples , Jun 22, 2022
  12. bcbender TDR MEMBER

I wouldn't think so unless it deformed or somehow was not submerged in fluid, then the level could theoretically drop,.. but it can cause a low line pressure

bcbender , Jun 22, 2022
    Wiredawg likes this.
  13. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

I find it interesting his dipstick says check in neutral??????

Cummins12V98 , Jun 22, 2022
    Wiredawg likes this.
  14. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

Wrong dip stick?

SnoKing , Jun 22, 2022
    Wiredawg and Cummins12V98 like this.
  15. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Easy to check, it has a part number on it.

BigPapa , Jun 22, 2022
    Wiredawg likes this.
  16. 06 Dodge

Don't recall if these trans have any type of vacuum module on them, if so that could be where fluid is going...

06 Dodge , Jun 22, 2022
    Wiredawg likes this.
  17. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Half a Quart low shouldn't make any difference in shift behavior or throw codes as it is still well above the Min-Mark.
    Overfilling the Trans is way worse then a little low, the oil will foam and you loose the transmission.

I've no clue where the oil goes believing it was filled correctly when it was replaced.
    As a side note, mine was badly overfilled from the workshop, almost 1 ½ Quart above Max.

Ozymandias , Jun 22, 2022
    Wiredawg likes this.
  18. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

Diesels do not have vacuum internally.

SnoKing , Jun 23, 2022
  19. Robbie Antonosn

Is it possible in these Ram trucks for the fluid to push past seals into the T-case?
    Know with toyota Pre 2007(all the way back to the fifty's) this can happen, both Autos and Manual transmission's. In the pre 1993 Land Cruiser, There was even a hose kit put out that patches the fill on the T-case to the fill on the transmission, so the t-case would not over fill too much. Yes the fill on transmission was a bit higher than the fill on T-case, but it would not over fill the t-case so much it would blow a seal. This would give the lazy owner a bit of time to have the transmission seal replaced.
    I have not seen it too much in post 2007 Toyota Truck and Land Cruisers. And have no real Idea if this can happen on the Ram trucks.

Robbie Antonosn , Jun 24, 2022
  20. NIsaacs

The OP said this:

"I have checked the transfer case level and it’s fine"

NIsaacs , Jun 24, 2022