1. james182

Recently I've been noticing that the regeneration cycles have been occurring more frequently. A few days ago the CEL light came on and EVIC told me the exhaust was 100% full, and that I needed to see the dealer to get it serviced. After that, I was unable to get it to regenerate at all. EGR valve and air intake were cleaned of carbon about 6k miles ago. On the way to the dealership EVIC actually told me that it had limited power (limp mode?), however I did not notice a difference in driving the truck, is this normal?.

The dealership told me that the DPF was plugged and needed to be replaced. Preliminary estimates are north of $4k. Does this sound reasonable (both in problem/solution and in cost)? It's making me think hard about doing a delete. I know TDR recommends not doing this, but are there any folks that have done it on this truck and do the results work well?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

james182 , Oct 28, 2020
  2. sag2 TDR MEMBER

How many miles on it? The useful life was about 180,000 miles. You can try back washing it with water, as long as you properly catch and dispose of the ash and soot. Idle it for about 20 minutes to dry the moisture out of the substrate so you don't crack it when the exhaust temps come up . If it doesn't have a lot of miles on it, fix the cause first, otherwise you will just waste a new DPF. Besides filling up with ash, or cracking, they don't fail by themselves.

sag2 , Oct 29, 2020
  3. james182

I'm at about 163k miles.
    Are you saying that at around that many miles that they need to be replaced regardless, or is it likely that there's another problem contributing to it? If so, what are the most likely causes?

james182 , Oct 30, 2020
  4. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

If you don't want to clean it yourself, there are companies offering it. Just Google it. DPF cleaning.

Yes, they are a wear item more or less as the DPF collects the ash from regenerations and one day it is full and needs replacement/cleaning.

Ozymandias , Oct 30, 2020
  5. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

ATD cleaning is big business now, at least on the HD side.Most any HD truck shop does it or can tell you where to have it done. You’ll need to remove it and take it in.

BigPapa , Oct 30, 2020
    Ozymandias likes this.
  6. craig smith

Do the delete and don't look back as long as you can get the state inspection to pass

craig smith , Nov 26, 2020
  7. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I would look at cleaning it, and then getting software that will allow for a stationary regen. AlfaOBD is a popular one. Stationary regens will do a better job cleaning the DPF.

AH64ID , Nov 29, 2020
    Jim W likes this.