Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCockerill

Looking for add on LED reverse lights for backing trailer at night and plowing ect. I was looking at ridid industries lights which look nice. but i can't justify over $200 for back up lights,, what do you guys have that shows some good light out back.. thanks!

JCockerill , Nov 10, 2014
  2. jhenderson

I've spent over $100 on different add on reverse lights for plowing over the years. I wish I had put the money towards a pair of rigids. No matter what you buy I strongly recommend cutting holes in the rear bumper and recess mounting the lights rather than under mounts. As careful as you are you'll rip off under mounted lights before the winter is over. In my opinion they are way to vulnerable for a work environment.

jhenderson , Nov 10, 2014
  3. Shadrach

Even tho I have an after market bumper with grilled holes for lamps I mounted two lamps similar to these on top of the bumper. They are out wide enough so the tail gate can open fully and are in rubber housings. I upgraded to 50 watt sealed beams. The reason I didn't mount them in the grilled holes is because the holes were to small and the slats blocked too much of the light. I have them on a separate switch. Sorry I don't have a picture just yet. David

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AG..._-PLA&ef_id=UqP-HwAABA7d6llp:20141111015945:s

Shadrach , Nov 10, 2014
  4. mwilson TDR MEMBER

For plowing use mounting them on a headboard / back packer type unit works really well. That's how they are on my '97.

backrack.jpg #ad

backrack.jpg #ad

mwilson , Nov 10, 2014
  5. sag2 TDR MEMBER

My neighbor pick up a couple from Northern Tools. I think they were about $50 each. They work pretty well.

sag2 , Nov 11, 2014
  6. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    Ozymandias , Nov 11, 2014
  7. n7gxz

n7gxz , Nov 11, 2014
  8. lpennock

Any of the cheap Ebay LED Floods will work fine as backup lights. You just want to get the flood pattern rather than the spot pattern.

lpennock , Nov 11, 2014
  9. BIGNASTY

I don't have them on my Dodge, but have several of them on the back of my International tractor, and more above the rear loading ramp on my stock trailer so Mules can see when loading and unloading at night. Like Shad I have them on a separate switch and breaker. The ones that are subjected to road grime, freezing snow, cinder. I just kick them to knock off the snow and ice and they work like always the rubber housing is nice that way.

http://www.class8truckparts.com/Grote-Rubber-Tractor-Utility-64471/dp/B000FBWO5I

BIGNASTY , Nov 11, 2014
  10. mwilson TDR MEMBER

The Grote 64931 is the top seller here. Takes a dirt cheap and tough #4411 bulb. If you scrape one off it is a $10.00 problem.

Plenty of light for backing up while plowing. Not like you are trying to see all the way to the end of a 53' trailer. Besides, too bright a light in a snowstorm is just as bad as no light.

mwilson , Nov 11, 2014
  11. JCockerill

thanks for the feedback guys!

JCockerill , Nov 17, 2014
  12. mwilson TDR MEMBER

A better picture of the lights on a back rack. We just moved this from another truck so ignore all the wire......I just haven't had the time to hook it all back up.....

IMG_20141113_070100436_HDR.jpg #ad

IMG_20141113_070100436_HDR.jpg #ad

mwilson , Nov 17, 2014
  13. PatrickMarshall TDR MEMBER

I installed these driving lights in the bumper (not LEDS) but throw out lots of light, handy when hitching up the trailer. Wired to a three position switch. Lights I had on the shelf from a 99' Ram.

Ram bumper lights 2.jpg #ad

Ram bumper lights 2.jpg #ad

PatrickMarshall , Nov 18, 2014