1. Randomrunner12

Hey y’all,

long time member here but new to the 3rd gens. Just picked up this beauty. 2004 Laramie with 102k on the clock. Since I got it, when going into drive from park it has a low bbbrrrrtttt sound. Does it everytime. Never does it going through any other gears or while driving. Just had my buddy at a diesel performance shop service the fluids, adjust the bands and add a deep pan. Didn’t find anything wrong with the transmission itself or the rest of the truck.
    Suspect something might be loose? Wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

don’t know how to add a video.

Randomrunner12 , Jun 13, 2023
  2. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Sound like the parking pawl going over the lock wheel?

Ozymandias , Jun 13, 2023
  3. Randomrunner12

Maybe? Is there anyway to post a video of the sound?

Randomrunner12 , Jun 13, 2023
  4. Topzide TDR MEMBER

@Randomrunner12, You can use the upload a file tab to do the video. So have it saved on whatever device that you access the forum with. Create a response and then choose the upload tab. Hope that helps as with the sound, we might be able to point you in the right direction. We're here to try and help with the issues whether on your truck or the forum. :D

Topzide , Jun 13, 2023
    Darkbloodmon and Ozymandias like this.
  5. Randomrunner12

Still wont let me upload the video. Not sure what is going on.

Randomrunner12 , Jun 15, 2023
  6. Randomrunner12

Thank you to Topzide for the idea to upload my video to YouTube and paste the link.

Here is the audio. This is when sitting still. Either parking brake on, foot off brake, parking off, foot on brake. Doesn’t matter. Also makes the noise when slowing and turning right. Haven’t found anything loose or damaged but this seems like something loose cause it doesn’t do it turning left.

https://youtube.com/shorts/v8F88PJ_wc4?feature=share

7. Topzide TDR MEMBER

Glad to help you get it to were the TDR wizards can help!
    To me it sounds like the parking pawl. Others will have more input.

Topzide , Jun 15, 2023
  8. Randomrunner12

Is that something to be worried about?

9. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Not the parking pawl as you aren't rolling, standing still there is no movement at the rear of the Trans.

Sounds more like a hydraulic buz, shudder, something like that.
    I recommend have a transshop listen to it, hands on to find out.

No idea which part makes this.

You could also run some Lubegard in the transmission to see if it goes away if you won't go to a shop right now.

But yes, I'd be concerned if my transmission would start making such sounds.

Ozymandias , Jun 15, 2023
    BigPapa likes this.
  10. Randomrunner12

Thanks Ozy. I’ll see if I can get it to a trans shop. When it does make the noise. It sounds like it’s behind the dash. I know that the recirc door for the ac is broken and inside the case but doubt that’s the noise lol might take it to a dodge dealer and let them put their ears on it.

Ozymandias likes this.
  11. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Yeah, that doesn't sound like the pawl to me, either. Sounds hydraulic, like something getting pressure to it and slowly tightening up.

BigPapa , Jun 15, 2023
  12. Randomrunner12

Powering steering or brakes? Just had entire brake system redone, (melted front brake lines in on my 18hr drive home after buying the truck.)

I keep thinking power steering since it does occasionally happen when slowing down and making a right turn such as a u-turn

13. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Brake has no connection to transmission, putting it from Park to D doesn't affect brake at all.

Ozymandias , Jun 15, 2023
  14. Randomrunner12

Ok I’ll keep an eye on it and get it to a shop asap.

Ozymandias likes this.
  15. CrewCabDiesel

I know this is out there, do you still the transmission cooling line check valve or the transmission cooler on the left side of the engine block still? Both of those can make weird sounds. When you shift from park to any other gear transmission cooling line pressure goes up and a loose cooling line could also make noise on a turn too.

CrewCabDiesel , Jun 19, 2023
    sag2 and Randomrunner12 like this.
  16. Randomrunner12

Yes. Far as I know it’s all still there and factory. I’ll definitely give that a check.

truck is going into the shop tomorrow for a hissing when pressing the brakes. Sounds like booster or master cylinder is having issues as the brake pedal is always very stiff.

Randomrunner12 , Jun 19, 2023
  17. CrewCabDiesel

Hissing sound from brake booster? Did you check your power steering fluid?
    The transmission cooling line check valve causes restricted flow, lines are 1/2 inch and the check valve bottle necks it down to 3/8" reducing flow.
    As for the block transmission cooler/heater, it's can fail mixing trans fluid and engine coolant wiping out the transmission. It's fed coolant from the heater core using at least 6 90 degree hose pieces.

CrewCabDiesel , Jun 20, 2023
  18. bigceltic TDR MEMBER

I think I know exactly what that is as I had it myself! Check the transmission dipstick in the engine bay. Mine made that sound due to it vibrating against the firewall or something. Started after I had the trans pulled to replace rear main seal. Can try bending it out a bit more, or do what I did, stick/wrap a piece of pipe insulation between the tube and the firewall. Stopped it.

bigceltic , Jun 20, 2023
    Randomrunner12 likes this.
  19. Randomrunner12

well that’s quite excessive. Can the heat exchanger be removed or bypassed? I live in Texas so it does get cold here during the winter

Randomrunner12 , Jun 20, 2023
  20. Randomrunner12

Thanks. I’ll give that a try.

Randomrunner12 , Jun 20, 2023