1. PLohr

Hello,
    I am not too far from replacing the injectors in our 2003 truck. I see that Injectors Direct includes new fuel lines as part of their kits. I read that there was an update to the #4 fuel line so it makes sense to replace that one. But is it worth the extra expense to replace the other five fuel injector lines?

Here is one of the kits from Injectors Direct, which includes the fuel injector lines:
    https://www.injectorsdirect.com/pro...tor-replacement-kit-bosch-oem-remanufactured/

To avoid misunderstanding, I am not asking about the connector tubes. I understand that they should be replaced.

Thanks for any help.

PLohr , Sep 21, 2022
  2. petersonj TDR MEMBER

I wouldn't replace the fuel lines if the engine was a 2002 or older non common rail engine, the reason being that each injector line only sees pressure for a few milliseconds of time during 720° of crankshaft rotation while the engine is running.

However, injector lines on a common rail fuel system are pressurized 100% of the time while the engine is running.

If a fuel leak was to occur on a common rail system injector line, the leak will be continuous while the engine is running. This could pose a much higher potential for a fire in the engine compartment than a fuel leak on a non common rail injector line. It would be for this reason I would consider replacing them.

On another note, I have little experience with replacing common rail injectors, but the what I have learned from this site is that remanufactured injectors are not a good idea in general. Others will probably comment on this subject.

- John

petersonj , Sep 21, 2022
  3. JVance

It's worthwhile to replace the fuel lines as a precaution, and I did last year when I used ID's kit to replace my injectors. But, FWIW, those fuel lines fit poorly, and the isolator on one of the lines had to be removed (did not fit whatsoever), and an old isolator reused in its place.
    Would you be better off reusing the existing, intact, non-leaking fuel line(s), or better off with new fuel lines you have to tweak/bend (and how this affects the alignment of the male end of the fuel line into the connector tubes...) and may not be well-supported by the isolators that are included? I hope I don't have to answer this in the next 100k miles...

JVance , Sep 21, 2022
    PLohr likes this.
  4. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

I didn't replace the lines nor the connector tubes, no one toldme before so I didn't.
    Runs fine for the last 120K Miles.

Ozymandias , Sep 21, 2022
  5. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

Description on the page for the lines says "NEW" not necessarily OEM. I'd get OEM lines and keep the old ones as spares, especially number 4.

The fuel system on these trucks is one of the few things that can leave you stranded if its not at or near 100%. Use the proper parts and installation procedures and you can forget about it.

Darkbloodmon , Sep 21, 2022
    PLohr likes this.
  6. PLohr

Thanks guys for your help. Every response has been helpful.

PLohr , Sep 24, 2022
  7. Motorhead

Just a question, is the #4 injector line the one prone to failure?

Motorhead , Sep 24, 2022
  8. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Yes, if I owned a 5.9 CR I’d have a #4 line and a 3/4” wrench in the glove box.

We’re down to around thirty 5.9 CR’s from a bit over three hundred and over the years, we’ve replaced a lot of #4 lines and very few if any of the other lines. These buses live a hard life, proportionately many more hours to miles compared to our trucks. We’ve never preventatively replaced fuel lines as part of maintenance and besides the #4’s, not had any fail from fatigue.

BigPapa , Sep 24, 2022
    Darkbloodmon and Motorhead like this.
  9. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Also it is really important to say that only the factory line #4 failed, not the upgraded one.
    I don't know when this upgraded #4 line went into the factory assembly line.

I think nowadays in '22 this #4 discuss is a little bit from the past as probably most of them have been replaced through the last twenty years.

I do not care a spare, I replaced it in '13 with the then latest available part and and didn't run into a problem since then.
    I carry a rail plug instead as a last resort in case of a injector, crossover, line failure.

Ozymandias , Sep 24, 2022
    Darkbloodmon and BigPapa like this.
  10. ZBrooks

I've replaced (2) #4's on my truck...

ZBrooks , Sep 27, 2022
  11. Motorhead

Do you carry more than ONE rail plug?

Motorhead , Sep 27, 2022
  12. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

No, just one. I think the change to have two failures at the very same time is really small.

Ozymandias , Sep 27, 2022
    Motorhead likes this.
  13. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Nor did I with my rebuild in 2013 on the 2005. But that was with 9 year old components, not sure what I’d do if I were to swap injectors today when it would be at ~200K… likely change them, but not 100%.

I did carry a spare #4 and checked the torque on its vibration absorber often. Otherwise I wasn’t concerned.

AH64ID , Sep 28, 2022
    Darkbloodmon, Ozymandias and bcbender like this.