Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ram_I_am

I love my Diesel!... That is until I experienced the dreaded automatic transmission hunting conditions and subsequent 5STAR service. :{

Symptoms were as follows:

Randomly the TC would lock/unlock at steady throttle. Trans would slip out of OD into drive. TC would lock/unlock in drive. AC relay would shut off. If I engaged cruise control, and the hunting event occurred, cruise control would disengage; as if one applied the brakes. Eventually these conditions were occuring more often than not.

The Dealer required two repair attempts and 7 days to finally resolve the problem.

Initially they replaced the Crankshaft position sensor after hemming and hawwing for 3 days... . within 5 minutes of leaving the dealership, the symptoms recurred :mad: Supposedly the vehicle was road tested prior to me picking it up.

I returned the truck the same day. Got a loaner vehicle and let them have another go at it... . After 4 more days of hemming and hawwing, they decided to change the TPS. ( I had previously mentioned to them the fact that the TPS had a reputation for causing this problem. THANKS TDR!)

It appears that the problem is resolved for now. The service manager told me that the pre 2000 TPS's were known to have problems. After the 2000 model year they were supposedly changed and not prone to electrical noise issues... Yeah Right!

Ram_I_am , Aug 22, 2002
  2. Pit Bull

Glad you got it fixed. I think your dealer is right about 2000 and newer CTD not normally having this problem.

Pit Bull , Aug 22, 2002
  3. Ram_I_am

Update:

As of 8/23 0800 the transmission hunting condition has started again! The truck went back to the dealer for further diagnosis.

The TPS solution lasted for about 50 miles.

At least I got a free rental out of this, even if it is a GMC Sonoma.

I don't expect any resolution until at least next Tuesday.

Ram_I_am , Aug 23, 2002
  4. pwr2tow

there is a reflash for the PCM for your problems. I don't remember the tsb number but have the dealer or another dealer look up the number and have it reflashed. I'am not at my regular computer so I cannot help with the number, sorry.

Ron

pwr2tow , Aug 23, 2002
  5. Stoutscout

SURE COULD USE SOME HELP.

After reading this and many other threads and comparing them with my own situation I think it's time to goto the Stealer. So as to avoid the week or so it usually take Larry, Moe and Curly at the stealer could you provide the correct verbage and flash codes and likely bad parts to me so I will sound informed. Does this cost any money- like a deductable or anything? I lost my job and can barely keep up with my truck payment. I can't afford to rent anything while it takes the stealer a week to figure out what you guys already know. Thanks in advance. You guys have always been helpful.

Stoutscout , Aug 23, 2002
  6. Ram_I_am

Thanks for the info about the PCM reflash. I already mentioned it to the Service Manager. I also suggested that perhaps they could "borrow" a PCM from another truck on the lot. ;)

BTW I think the PCM reflash pertained to the 99-00 models.

I have a 2001.

Will keep y'all posted.

Cal

Ram_I_am , Aug 23, 2002
  7. Sky

This is my third CTD automatic. The first two I had problems all the time with the transmission. When I bought this one, at 20k I installed the DTT set up and now at 75k I have not had 1 problem with my auto. This was the best money ever spent IMO. Just not haveing to go to the dealer is well worth it. If you plan on haveing your truck for awhile make the investment in a after market TC and VB. There are some good ones out there!

Mike

8. WTBurke

Ram_I_am... I have a 2001. 5 I've noticed this sence day one also.

I mentioned this to my very cool service guy at the local Chico CA. Dodge Dealership and he did not have an answer. Just wants me to bring it in... not this country boy! Let me know more as time goes on please. :(

Mike, tell me more of the DTT that did away with this syndrom?

William

WTBurke , Aug 24, 2002
  9. Sky

DTT stands for Diesel Transmission Technology. Go here to check them out. http://www.dieseltrans.com/ After that give Bill K. a call he is the experts that can help you with everything.

Its worth the upgrade IMO. There are other aftermarket companies as well but I think you will find there are a lot of happy TDR members useing DTT.

Mike

10. Ram_I_am

Trans Troubles Continued

The Saga Continues...

I wanted to update the board on my transmission hunting condition.

As of Friday, 9/6 my truck is still not repaired. The dealer has replaced the following:

Camshaft position sensor (Wrongly indicated in my earlier post as the Crankshaft Position Sensor),

Throttle position sensor,

Transmission valve body (including the trans temp sensor and gov pressure sensor).

The PCM was replaced on Friday, 9/6. Before they got to road test the truck, error codes were indicating a faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor. The original PCM never latched any fault codes.

The problem now is; according to the Service Manager, the fact that the Crankshaft Position Sensor is part of the injection pump unit and not separately replaceable.

:--)Apparently a mid-2001 model year change. He also indicated to me that I will probably not get my truck back until Tues/Wednesday next week.

I've already spoken with the GM at the dealership and discussed my options, including a possible DC buy-back. He stated that there would probably not be a problem if I chose to pursue that option. For now, I will wait to see if the latest repair attempt succeeds. If not, looks like a 2003 may be on the horizon.

Will keep you posted.

Ram_I_am , Sep 7, 2002
  11. WTBurke

Mike... Thank you, I did call Bill K. last week and I'm looking into this now.

Cal... Holy Cow! This is a mess, why has DC waited so long to relay this info to us 2001. 5 owners? I'm sorry your the ginny pig on this but I'm all ears as to the progress of your situation. I'm printing off your postings to take to my local Dodge service Mgr. I want these guys to learn the inside real time info to save some trouble later. :(

William

WTBurke , Sep 8, 2002
  12. Ram_I_am

Auto Trans Troubles Fixed!

Want to give the board an update on my truck/transmission problems.

On Friday last week, the dealer replaced the PCM. Before they test drove the vehicle, the DRB scan tool indicated the Crankshaft position sensor signal was dropping out. Unfortunately, the CKPS is not replaceable separately from the injector pump. After confirming the problem with star hotline tech folks, an Injector pump was overnighted to the dealer.

The pump was replaced on Monday and the vehicle test driven about 30 miles. The tech found no further problems. I picked up the vehicle today and drove it about 120 miles.

Apparently, my original PCM did not indicate the CKPS signal was missing. Only after replacing the PCM did the error condition show up.

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm!

It appears for now that my transmission hunting condition is resolved.

Oo.

Ram_I_am , Sep 10, 2002
  13. Stoutscout

Please Help.

To the tech. -challenged it's very confusing. Is there anybody in the San Jose, CA area who can show me if I need to go to the dealer. I don't know when the diff. locks-up or when the TC locks-up or not. It feels to me (seat of the pants) that my truck revs more and moves less. I'll drive to where ever to be shown what is right or wrong. Maybe one of the local RAMRUNNERS could sound in. PM me if you have time to help. Thanks in advance.

Stoutscout , Sep 10, 2002
  14. WTBurke

Cal,

I've been gone on bizz trips just got home and I'm leaving again Thursday am. Thank you for the info and I'm printing off your posts to take my dealer. Please keep us updated on your further driving experiences with this repair. If your happy 90 days from now... I'd sure like to know

William

WTBurke , Sep 11, 2002
  15. Ram_I_am

Trans troubles update

Well its been 2 days since I got my truck back from the dealer.

I've logged about 200 miles and no shifting problems. My confidence is higher about the repair.

HOWEVER, now I have an oil leak! :mad: I stopped by the dealer this A. M. to show them an oil accumulation on the frame rails, front torsion bar, oil pan, drive shaft, fuel tank and rear lift gate. They checked out my complaint. They said the crankcase vent was loose and was retightened. :rolleyes: They also cleaned the undercarriage at my request. Additionally, an oil dye was added to the crankcase.

I drove 60 miles to my customer's site. I then crawled under the truck. :eek: EEEEEEWWWWW! What a friggin mess! The undercarriage looked like I had just run through the LA BREA Tar Pits. I had oil dripping from the torsion bar, down the oil pan, on the cross members, etc.

Called the Service manager and informed him I was bringing the truck back right away. No problem he said. He would reserve a spot for my truck.

I dropped off the truck and picked up another loaner vehicle. This time it is a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500.

I received a phone call 2 hours after dropping my truck off. The Service manager informed me that my timing cover had developed an oil leak. They hotlined a replacement and should have the truck repaired by Friday afternoon. Just in time for me to drag my 6000lb camping trailer 200 miles into the mountains of Western Maryland. This is going to be a real leap of faith based on the dealer's track record thus far. :rolleyes:

Will keep y'all posted.

Cal

Ram_I_am , Sep 12, 2002
  16. Ram_I_am

Trans Troubles/Oil Leak Repaired!

Finally got the truck fixed!Oo.

I picked up the repaired truck 3:30 on Friday cleaned and degreased. This time the gear case/timing cover and crankshaft front oil seal were replaced. We left two hours later on a 300 mile camping trip into the mountains of Western Maryland towing a 25' camping trailer. Had 0 problems this time! No shifting problems and no oil leaks.

I spoke w/the mechanic who repaired the trans shifting problem. He indicated that DC/Cummins made a mid 2001 model year change to the injector pump. The crankshaft position sensor was discontinued and its function was replaced by the fuel control module located in the injector pump. I guess it monitors the fuel pumps rotation and sends the output to the PCM module. The PCM montors that output to determine shifting points.

My injector pump output was randomly jumping from 2000 to 4000 to 0 rpm. The only way to monitor the output was with a scan tool. The instrument panel tach signal comes from elsewhere.

I never thought an injector pump malfunction would show up as a transmission shifting problem. :eek:

Cal Gilbert

Ram_I_am , Sep 16, 2002
  17. Pit Bull

Re: Trans Troubles/Oil Leak Repaired!

Based on all of the problems reported that mid year change does not sound like an improvement? I wonder if this change just saved DC $$$?

Pit Bull , Sep 16, 2002