1. GSP7

Do you personally drain the canister first before you take the lid off and pull the old filter?

Watched a thouroughgood deisel vid and he waited to drain the canister after he removed the lid and filter

whatever

GSP7 , Jan 27, 2024
  2. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

You absolutely have to, otherwise you flush the dirt sediment into the clean part of the bowl. Never pull that filter on a full bowl.

Ozymandias , Jan 27, 2024
    AH64ID likes this.
  3. bigceltic TDR MEMBER

I drain first and take top off once fuel has stopped flowing but leave the drain open (into a bucket of course) as when the lid comes off, more always flows out.

bigceltic , Jan 27, 2024
  4. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I’ve always drained first, it’s a cleaner change.

AH64ID , Jan 27, 2024
  5. GSP7

Welp, Got that new filter replaced tonight. First time on a 2005. Pretty easy.

My '99 has a FASS Titanium fuel pumps with Fass filters

I used a stiff tooth brush type brush and a air compressor to clean around the lid before I removed the lid.
    There was alittle loose crap in the bottom of the bowl, I used a shop vac and sucked it out clean

I started cleaning my battery terminals. Completely took apart and off the battery and wire brushed every thing, completely cleaned the crud and red crap previous mechanic sprayed on the terminals.

Ill be redoing the Bat Terminals again with Military Spec terminals and Battery cable end lug/ring soon

I installed a new water pump a few days ago. No more dripping leaks. Old pump was really shot , fricken wobbly loose bearing when I got it off. It was dripping a few drops when parked when I first bought the truck last summer

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
    GSP7 , Jan 27, 2024
  6. Topzide TDR MEMBER

The red crap helps with corrosion if you're not running an AGM battery. If using a lead acid battery, the off gassing causes the corrosion. When you do the cable to lugs, if you don't have heat shrink with the glue in it, just use a heat gun and hot melt glue stick to spread around connection and before it cools completely, slide up heat shirk and then seal up tight! Have use this method on an LED in a water feature in the yard with great success from the elements. Glad you're taken care of the rig! Enjoy the seat time!

Topzide , Jan 28, 2024
  7. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

What filter did you use?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2024
    AH64ID , Jan 28, 2024