Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LivLogik

Hey everyone there have been a lot of truck thefts around here and i was wondering how i can do my own kill switch. I am seeing a lot for gasoline cars but not very many for diesels. Im just wondering does anyone know how to install one and if so does anything feel like explaining where and what i need to tap in to for the switch.

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L

I have all the wire and the switch i just dont know the best place to tap in where it wont start unless the switch is activated.

Thank you very much in advance!,

Zach

LivLogik , Jun 9, 2022
  2. Topzide TDR MEMBER

I would look to have it switch power to the lift pumps. The simple way was to remove the relays for pumps, but that's well known and they'll figure it out or carry relays. If you're able to wire into the harness somewhere, that would provide a good deterrent! Good luck.

Topzide , Jun 9, 2022
  3. LivLogik

hmmm ok thanks!. what do you mean wire into the harness somewhere? which harness?

LivLogik , Jun 9, 2022
  4. GCroyle

Manual or auto trans?

GCroyle , Jun 9, 2022
  5. LivLogik

It is a auto

LivLogik , Jun 9, 2022
  6. GCroyle

If manual a switch in the clutch pedal start switch would have been real easy, its not so my post ain't helping you.

Someone will have an idea or two or three.

GCroyle , Jun 9, 2022
    LivLogik likes this.
  7. LivLogik

thanks my friend

LivLogik , Jun 9, 2022
  8. bighammer

Tap into park/neutral safety switch, start circuit or crankshaft sensor. The first 2 wouldn't crank, but the sensor would allow it to crank, but if you really wanted to be slick, have it blow the horn instead of cranking. :p

bighammer , Jun 9, 2022
  9. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Treed by the hammer....

One of you CR pro's correct me if I'm wrong, but unless the system has lost prime, the lift pump doesn't have to run for it to start.

I think Gary's thinking of the Clutch Interlock Switch. I don't know about the '06, but at least on the 2nd Gens, I think the wiring for the Clutch Switch is there on the auto's but it has a jumper in it. Either way, a switch breaking the circuit on the Yellow/Dk Blue wire close to the S123 splice would disable the starter.

upload_2022-6-9_13-56-44.png #ad

BigPapa , Jun 9, 2022
    LivLogik likes this.
  10. LivLogik

hahaha the horn is already part of my plan. i thought about just going to do is tap into the starter solenoid wire and route the wire somewhere in the cab. I compiled a plan. And then tap into the horn so when the switch is on kill everytime they try to start it send power to the horn lol!

upload_2022-6-9_13-57-25.gif #ad

LivLogik , Jun 9, 2022
  11. bighammer

LOL, could put an extra horn under the seat. :eek::D

bighammer , Jun 9, 2022
    LivLogik likes this.
  12. GCroyle

Yeah Scott, that thingy.

Or maybe really mess with the bad guys by hanging a clutch pedal in an AT version. What a hoot! Think of it, you have to push the pedal down to move the shift lever.

GCroyle , Jun 9, 2022
    bighammer likes this.
  13. LivLogik

haha that would be funny. Im just scared im going to mess up something i need some wiring diagram or something to figure out where and what wire to splice for the starter solenoid wire and the horn wire

is that diagram for a 06 2500?

LivLogik , Jun 9, 2022
    bighammer likes this.
  14. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Yes.

BigPapa , Jun 9, 2022
  15. LivLogik

oh ok thank you. im trying to read it lol. so do i just need to cut the solenoid wire and then put in a switch ? Thats what it seems like then i just flip the switch on so it completes the circuit when i want it on.

LivLogik , Jun 9, 2022
  16. Topzide TDR MEMBER

The lift pump switch does allow to start but doesn't allow them to get far! They abandon it and take off figuring there's tracking on it. The jumper on the trans harness would be the easiest way to go or just put in relay and switch to the starter solenoid. You could tap into something that has power when key on or hide a switch somewhere. Could be a simple push button switch you could reach with your foot. All good ideas. Reminds me of the movie where guy tried to steal limo, it played a warning, locked him in and deployed a smoke bomb. Don't remember the movie but great theft deterrent!

Topzide , Jun 9, 2022
  17. LivLogik

lol if i had the funds i would find a way to do that!

so do i need a relay? a video i saw they just slice into the solenoid wire and ran a wire to where their kill switch was then ran another line to the other end of the cut wire and then done.

LivLogik , Jun 9, 2022
  18. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

It was established in another thread that the lift pump on the CR's is for priming the system. The truck will run fine without a lift pump as long as it starts.

BigPapa , Jun 9, 2022
    AH64ID likes this.
  19. LivLogik

It is sounding like the best place is to tap into the starter solenoid that way they cant even turn the engine over. does anyone have any suggestions what might be the best way to do this?

LivLogik , Jun 10, 2022
  20. Topzide TDR MEMBER

I would put a relay inline with switch. That way you can use a small switch and let the relay handle the load without issue. The smaller the switch, the easier to hide! You could opt for a momentary switch to hold on while cranking to prevent switch being left in the on position. A relay and micro switch and wire will get it done. I'd solder and heat shrink all connections to prevent issues down the road. This site has great info on relays and the such, https://www.the12volt.com/. Good luck with project!

Topzide , Jun 10, 2022
    LivLogik likes this.