Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebar

Hey everyone.

I want to use the same 17" stock steel rims and Michelin tires I'm running now, on both the truck and 7x16 trailer I'm having custom built. Space will be scarce on this mini toyhauler being built by Jensen Trailers, so I don't want more than one spare. I would consider 17" aftermarket rims with the stock offset all around though.

This is the goal, but I haven't come up with any info on how much larger the center hole of the trailer rim is, compared to the truck rim, or if its a unsafe idea. Or how much offset stock dodge rims have compared to the centered trailer rims. Anyone?

How would I go about enlarging the center hole on stock steel rims to fit over 7k trailer hubs? Or would there be a different approach to my goals I'm not aware of? A aftermarket rim?

Thanks!

rebar , Apr 5, 2019
  2. NIsaacs

The center hole is no problem, it is the Dodge offset. The tire will hit the springs/frame before the hub face. They wont work unless your custom trailer somehow has more clearance.

NIsaacs , Apr 5, 2019
    rebar likes this.
  3. rebar

Thanks NIsaacs.

The trailer isn't built yet, so the builder will order the axle wider to accommodate the additional offset of the dodge wheels. That should be easy.

But the dodge center hole is to small for the trailer hub. This dodge center pilot hole is flanged, and if I enlarge the hole removing the flange, the rim would be weaker.

It sounds like buying aftermarket rims with the center hole large enough for the larger trailer hub might be the safest, but naturally the most expensive.. But maybe not, considering the machine shop cost of enlarging the hole on existing rims..

I just have this feeling that the rim salesman wont have a clue what the stock dodge offset is. Nor do I know how big the hub on a 7K trailer axle is yet.

rebar , Apr 6, 2019
  4. JR

Are you running OEM wheels from a gen 3? Since the gen 2's only came with 16" wheels. What year they came off of makes a difference as they did slightly change over the years.

5. rebar

I bought the truck with these 17" rims and assumed it was a factory option in 1997. Not?

rebar , Apr 6, 2019
  6. JR

No... 16" wheels were the only option. The gen 3 came out in 2003 and were the first Dodge Ram HD pickup with 17" wheels. Your driver side door sticker should have the info on OEM size.
    Are they Dodge wheels? Or aftermarket? If OEM, if you take a picture we may be able to pin point what year(s) they are from.

rebar likes this.
  7. rebar

Here's a pic.

The dodge rim sure has allot of offset (I've read 4.75"?) and I wonder how 7k trailer bearings will like that considering they were designed for centered rims. But I have 14k of capacity, and "might" only see 8k.

Maybe a better plan is to run trailer rims on the trailer, but carry a trailer spare under the truck bed instead of the truck spare.. The trailer rim with less offset shouldn't be a problem for the truck as long as I use the same tires, other than mud all over.

I wish I had the axle to measure because it looks close.. I might be wasting time

IMG_0614.JPG #ad

s-l1600.jpg #ad

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    rebar , Apr 8, 2019
  8. JR

Rebar, I should have asked for an inclusion of the hub cap. From what you provided it almost looks like a gen 4 17" wheel. If it is, I could likely verify as I have a good familiarity with them. If it is from a gen 3 maybe others could chime in.

If you could, snap a shot with hubcap attached to wheel.

9. rebar

The pilot hole on the dodge is 4.75" Wow, it might be big enough.

IMG_0615.JPG #ad

rebar , Apr 8, 2019
  10. NIsaacs

I think a Dodge 2nd and 3rd gen wheel center hole is 4.77", the Dexter 7k hub centric hub is 4.75", the Dexter 7k non hub centric hub is about 4.5". Keep in mind any time you go outside of the axles maximum outboard rating, the axle will de-rate. Example: the Dexter 7k axle is rated for 15" minimum and 18" maximum, this is the distance from the spring center to the hub face. So, if you have a 7k axle spaced out to, say, 20" it might become a 6k axle.

NIsaacs , Apr 8, 2019
    AH64ID and rebar like this.
  11. rebar

I lucked out with the 4 3/4" hole sounds like. But not with finding a 17" trailer rim.

I understand why the axle would have a 18" maximum, but why a minimum? I would think the closer the spring was to the spindle the stronger..

rebar , Apr 8, 2019
  12. JR

OK, those don't look like they are from a gen 4.
    I'm not familiar enough with the variations in the gen 3's to tell you what they are, but those hub caps sure do look like they are off of a gen 2. I wonder if the previous owner used your original hub caps with 17" wheels, if its even possible?
    Hopefully someone else chimes in.

13. NIsaacs

I think the minimum is to insure the wheel/tire clearance will fit rather than a strength issue. That wheel looks like a chrome clad 3rd gen wheel with a 2nd gen cap.

Most 16" 8 bolt trailer wheel centers are 4.88 or 5.12, non hub centric. I don't think they make a 17" trailer wheel.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    NIsaacs , Apr 9, 2019
    rebar likes this.
  14. rebar

So, most 16" 8 bolt trailer rims would fit on my truck? Because no one makes 17" trailer rims..

Trailer rims jump to 17 1/2 with flanged nuts.. I'll assume flanged nuts means the pilot hole must match the hub to keep the rim centered.. Or hub-centric.

Ive never heard of "non hub centric".. Do you mean lug-centric?

rebar , Apr 9, 2019
  15. NIsaacs

Yes, most trailer wheels should fit your truck as far as center hole and bolt pattern, not sure about the front calipers.

Yes, I meant lug centric. Your truck has both, with a stock oem wheel, they are hub and lug centric.

NIsaacs , Apr 9, 2019
    rebar likes this.
  16. rebar

Any idea how far a 235/85/16 mounted on a centered trailer rim would stick out past the truck fender?

rebar , Apr 9, 2019
  17. JR

Early gen 3 wheels had a 45mm offset so assuming that's what you have, that plus or minus the width of your truck tire (need to know your trucks tire size)

rebar likes this.
  18. NIsaacs

In a flat tire/spare situation, I wouldn't care what it looked like. Even if the trailer spare was an "ST", I would still use it. On a rear truck flat, you want the spare to be the same overall size. If need be, you can switch with the front.

NIsaacs , Apr 10, 2019
  19. rebar

So, a centered trailer rim would bring my existing 265/70/17 tire outward 45mm or 1 3/4" and a 235/85/16 which is 1" narrower, 1 1/4" outward?

I'm running 265/70/17, 31.6" diameter now, but using this tire calculator, the 235/85/16's 31.7" diameter I'm considering are only .1" larger!

Thanks for all the ideas and help guys..

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    rebar , Apr 10, 2019